Unlikely faces going to unlikely places form the headlines in the world football gossip pages this morning.
Could English midfielder David Beckham be heading to Qatar? Could German international keeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen be going to Real Madrid?
Those stories lead this Wednesday edition of the B/R World Football Gossip Roundup. Inside, we also have updates on Theo Walcott, Edinson Cavani and Frank Lampard.
Read on for all of the updates.
An unspecified club from the Qatar Stars League has offered English midfielder David Beckham a lucrative two-year contract, according to The Sun.
Beckham, 37, left the Los Angeles Galaxy last month after helping the club win its second straight Major League Soccer title. The former England captain has also been linked with West Ham United and Queens Park Rangers of the English Premier League.
The Qatar bid could also include a future role for Beckham as an ambassador for the 2022 World Cup, which will be held in the country.
A source reportedly told The Sun:
They have seen what Beckham did in the US league and feel that type of transformation could be priceless. David is one of the few—possibly the only—soccer player who has the tools to revive the image of the game here.
Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen has said that he is not considering a move to Real Madrid (Rheinische Presse via ESPN FC).
Spanish reports had linked the 20-year-old with Real Madrid. Ter Stegen, who has made two senior appearances for Germany, said he was flattered by the rumors but will remain at Gladbach.
“I still have a job to do at Gladbach,” he said. “Other offers are quite out of the question. I want to do my homework here and want to show myself here.”
Arsenal will offer England midfielder/forward Theo Walcott a £25 million deal this week, according to the Daily Mail.
The five-year contract would be worth about £88,000 per week and would include a £3 million signing bonus.
Walcott, 23, joined Arsenal from Southampton in 2006. His current contract expires at the end of the season and previous negotiations have failed to produce a new deal.
Meanwhile, German newspaper Bild has reported that Mainz have played down Arsenal's attempts to sign Hungarian forward Adam Szalai (via ESPN FC).
Szalai, 25, was named the Hungarian Footballer of the Year for 2012. Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg are also reportedly interested.
Manchester City's assistant coach Angelo Gregucci has confirmed his club's interest in Napoli's Uruguayan forward Edinson Cavani (via ESPN FC).
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has said that he turned down a €55 million bid for Cavani, 25. Cavani has scored 65 league goals in two-plus seasons since joining Napoli from Palermo in 2010.
If you ask the clubs who can afford Cavani, for example Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Manchester United, then I think they'd want Cavani just as Manchester City want him. However, what the player wants is the predominant factor in negotiations and it seems to me that Cavani is happy at Napoli.
Juventus, AC Milan and Catania are competing for the signature of 20-year-old Argentine midfielder Lucas Mugni, according to a Goal.com exclusive.
Juventus are reportedly prepared to bid €2.7 million for Mugni, who currently plays for Colón in Argentina.
Meanwhile, Juventus midfielder Andrea Pirlo has said English midfielder Frank Lampard would be welcome at the club (via ESPN FC).
Lampard, 34, is expected to leave Chelsea after the season.