In their last match-up, Lakeem Jackson finished with 16 points and 8 rebounds in the Gamecocks 80-69 victory over South Carolina State on January 5th. A crucial part of the team, he leads the way with 7.4 rebounds per game and 0.9 blocks per game. For the Bulldogs, Colin Borchert put up 17 points and 8 rebounds in the 97-46 blowout of New Orleans on January 3rd. He is averaging 7.7 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.7 blocks per game. A key area of strength for Mississippi State is free throw rate at 43.5, which ranks 2nd in their conference (and 28th nationally).
Mississippi State StatSmack
- Eric Smith is ranked 3rd in the SEC in assists.
- It's only wins and losses, but South Carolina has a better overall record than Mississippi State this season (9-3 vs 4-7).
- The South Carolina blocks leader (Mindaugas Kacinas) has more blocks than the Mississippi State blocks leader (Gavin Ware).
- South Carolina allows fewer rebounds (28.4 allowed per game vs 36.4 allowed per game) than Mississippi State this season.
- Brenton Williams is ranked 8th in the SEC in three-pointers.
- South Carolina is a better shooting team (46.1% vs 39.5%) than Mississippi State this season.
- At least you keep showing up. South Carolina has an average margin of victory of 9 over Mississippi State in 8 wins since 1991.
- The South Carolina scoring leader (Brenton Williams) has more points than the Mississippi State scoring leader (Roquez Johnson).
- Lakeem Jackson is ranked 4th in the SEC in rebounds.
- South Carolina has a more potent offense, scoring more points (73.5 per game vs 60.0 per game) than Mississippi State this season.
- The South Carolina three-point leader (Brenton Williams) has more three-pointers than the Mississippi State three-point leader (Fred Thomas).