In a 69-51 dismantling of Northwestern on January 6th, Austin Hollins put up 19 points for the Golden Gophers. In addition to a team-leading 2.1 steals per game, he chips in 10.8 points per game. For the Fighting Illini, Nnanna Egwu put up 16 points and 8 rebounds in the 74-55 blowout of Ohio State on January 5th. He averages 6.7 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.5 blocks per game.
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Minnesota currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (954 to 952) than Illinois, per the NCAA.
- Joe Coleman is ranked 7th in the Big Ten in steals.
- Trevor Mbakwe is ranked 2nd in the Big Ten in rebounds and 5th in the Big Ten in blocks.
- Minnesota can actually jump, with more rebounds (40.9 per game vs 36.1 per game) than Illinois this season.
- We just win. Minnesota has more wins over the last 5 years than Illinois (116 vs 111).
- At least you keep showing up. Minnesota has an average margin of victory of 9 over Illinois in 12 wins since 1980.
- Eliott Eliason is ranked 5th in the Big Ten in blocks.
- Austin Hollins is ranked 24th nationally in steals.
- The Minnesota rebounding leader (Trevor Mbakwe) has more rebounds than the Illinois rebounding leader (Brandon Paul).
- We're a talent magnet. Since 1998 Minnesota has recruited more Top 10 high school players than Illinois (3 vs 0).
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Minnesota has a stronger schedule than Illinois this season (SOS Rank: #31 vs #50).