In their last outing, behind 20 points and 7 assists from Joe Jackson, the Tigers defeated Tennessee 85-80 on January 4th. He paces the team in points per game with 13.8, and assists per game with 4.5. In a 91-60 blowout of North Carolina Wesleyan on January 5th, Maurice Kemp put up 19 points and 10 rebounds for the Pirates. With 17.6 points per game and 1.7 steals per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. East Carolina ranks 2nd in their conference in turnover percentage at 18.0, which also places them 56th in the country.
East Carolina StatSmack
- At least you keep showing up. Memphis has an average margin of victory of 16 over East Carolina in 12 wins since 2002.
- People just expect us to beat you. Memphis has been the favorite 12 out of the last 13 times.
- You get an A for effort, but Memphis has emerged victorious against East Carolina the last 3 times they've played.
- Memphis allows fewer rebounds (31.6 allowed per game vs 35.8 allowed per game) than East Carolina this season.
- Memphis has a significantly better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (0.791 to 0.396).
- The Memphis assist leader (Joe Jackson) has more assists than the East Carolina assist leader (Miguel Paul).
- Even computers respect Memphis more. We have a better RPI this season than East Carolina (RPI: #102 vs #115).
- Memphis takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than East Carolina (8 vs 0).
- AP voters think more highly of Memphis and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than East Carolina (106 vs 0).
- D.J. Stephens is ranked 6th in C-USA in blocks.
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Memphis has recruited more Top 50 high school players than East Carolina (15 vs 0).