In their last match-up, Colin Borchert finished with 17 points and 8 rebounds in the Bulldogs 97-46 blowout of New Orleans on January 3rd. He leads the team in blocks per game with 1.7 while also putting up 7.7 points per game. For the Gamecocks, Mindaugas Kacinas finished with 9 points and 10 rebounds in the 80-69 win over South Carolina State on January 5th. He is averaging 7.7 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. When considering the Four Factors, South Carolina performs well in offensive rebounding percentage at 44.5. This ranks 1st in the conference and 2nd in the country.
South Carolina StatSmack
- Mississippi State is better under pressure, and has defeated South Carolina in 6 out of the last 8 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Mississippi State has recruited more Top 50 high school players than South Carolina (8 vs 3).
- We have a history of cultivating talent. Over the past 10 years, Mississippi State has had more players drafted by the NBA than South Carolina (5 vs 1).
- We beat real teams. Mississippi State had more wins against the RPI Top 50 than South Carolina last season (3 vs 1).
- Mississippi State is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Mississippi State is 214 lbs compared to 203 lbs for South Carolina.
- Gavin Ware is ranked 10th in the SEC in rebounds.
- The Mississippi State steals leader (Craig Sword) has more steals than the South Carolina steals leader (Brenton Williams).
- AP voters think more highly of Mississippi State and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than South Carolina (69 vs 12).
- Mississippi State beat South Carolina by 2 points the last time they played (Feb 29, 2012).
- Mississippi State has a better overall winning percentage over the last 20 years (0.626 to 0.526).
- At least you keep showing up. Mississippi State has an average margin of victory of 7 over South Carolina in 16 wins since 1991.