The Mountaineers fell 67-57 to Oklahoma on January 5th. Terry Henderson finished with 21 points in the loss. He contributes 3.4 rebounds per game in addition to his 8.4 points per game. The Longhorns were defeated by Baylor 86-79 on January 5th despite 26 points and 5 rebounds from Javan Felix. He leads the team in assists with 6.5 per game and steals with 1.6 per game. A key area of strength for Texas is free throw rate at 42.0, which ranks 1st in their conference (and 38th nationally).
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. West Virginia has a stronger schedule than Texas this season (SOS Rank: #39 vs #121).
- West Virginia players are more experienced than Texas players (10,590 minutes played vs 5,629 minutes played).
- Morgantown isn't as congested as Austin (population is significantly lower).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? West Virginia currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (979 to 1000) than Texas, per the NCAA.
- Even computers respect West Virginia more. We have a better RPI this season than Texas (RPI: #78 vs #105).
- The West Virginia basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Texas (71% vs 42%).
- Juwan Staten is ranked 6th in the Big 12 in steals.
- West Virginia is a better free-throw-shooting team (71.8% vs 64.1%) than Texas this season.
- Texas has to pay up to win. The coach for West Virginia has a much lower base salary than Texas ($1,700,000 vs $2,150,000).