The Doctor's WWE Main Event/SmackDown Recap: Things We Learned, Loved and Hated
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to my weekly WWE Main Event and SmackDown recap list. I always appreciate my loyal readers, but for those of you who are new, each week I recap Main Event and SmackDown with a long list.
The entries are made up of equal parts observations, humor, recap, play-by-play, revelations, speculations, questions, answers and anything else I notice during the show. I sometimes comment on commercials, too, just because I get bored during them.
I recently decided to add Main Event to the list because the show has proven it is a valuable addition to the lineup of weekly shows.
I try to interject some fun into these lists, so I hope you have fun reading this week's list of the 179 things we learned, loved and hated from the shows.
1. Main Event is going to kick off with a 20-man battle royal to see who faces Antonio Cesaro for the US title.
2. Cesaro is on commentary for this one.
3. Miz plugs the book Mick Foley wrote about him as the final entrants make their way to the ring.
4. If these reactions are 100 percent real and not edited, then Santino may have gotten the biggest pop.
5. It would be awesome if William Regal won this.
6. Primo is out first.
7. There have been a surprisingly low number of eliminations before the first commercial.
8. I like when WWE does battle royals, but sometimes there is just too much going on to pay attention to.
9. The Royal Rumble is an exception because entrances are staggered to avoid having too many people in the ring at once.
10. We return to see the ring still packed with superstars.
11. Brodus Clay and Great Khali square off and trade shots at one point.
12. I just noticed Ted DiBiase was in this match.
13. Khali goes around and gives everyone a chop to the chest.
14. The tag teams have a strong showing towards the end as PTP, CoBro and Rhodes Scholars were among the final eight men in the ring.
15. Khali goes on a streak and eliminates PTP and Rhodes Scholars.
16. Barrett takes Khali down and Santino attacks Barrett.
17. Ryder nails Barrett with the Broski Boot and Santino sneaks up and eliminates Ryder.
18. Barrett throws Santino out and he is left with Khali.
19. Khali wins the battle royal to get the title shot.
20. Normally this would upset me, but I want to see Cesaro hit Khali with the Neutralizer.
21. Think about how epic it will be if he is able to get Khali up for it.
22. Cesaro goes in the ring after the match and offers his hand to Khali.
23. Khali shakes it and Cesaro leaves without incident.
24. Sometimes when a heel doesn't take the cheap shot, it makes for a more interesting segment.
25. Of course, Cesaro has to make me look like an idiot by taking a cheap shot in a backstage segment after the break.
26. Khali ends up hitting him with a chop and then picking up the US title and looking at it.
27. The Raw Rebound is all about how Alberto Del Rio almost killed Santa on Monday.
28. Did laughing at that make me a bad person?
29. 3MB are out for the second match of the evening.
30. Watching Jinder Mahal try to fit in with Slater and McIntyre is unsettling.
31. I actually thought his old gimmick had promise, but WWE never used him the right way.
32. Slater has a sore throat or something. He can't do their normal intro.
33. They put the blame on Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd.
34. Kidd and Gabriel come out to face two members of 3MB.
35. I wanted Kidd and Gabriel to get some kind of angle, but not with 3MB.
36. Mahal takes a really nasty-looking mule kick from Kidd for a near fall at one point.
37. Kidd and Gabriel hit a pair of high flying moves to send us to commercial.
38. The fact that Cole and Miz are not talking a lot about how Gabriel and Slater were tag champs together is a little disappointing.
39. Gabriel gets the hot tag and comes in with a ton of offense.
40. Gabriel misses his moonsault and D-Mac gets a near fall.
41. This match has had some decent action in it.
42. D-Mac hits a big running boot for a two count.
43. Kidd and Gabriel hit a double blockbuster on Mahal to pick up the win.
44. Seeing Kidd and Gabriel get the win made the whole match worth it.
45. Hopefully WWE starts to use them more for their ability to have exciting matches with just about anyone.
46. Not a bad show. Khali getting the win in the battle royal was not what I had hoped for, but if Cesaro can get him up for his finisher, it will be a good pay-off.
47. The final SmackDown of 2012 starts off with the usual recap video and then Sheamus making his way out to the ring.
48. He begins by saying he hopes everyone had a Merry Christmas.
49. I am surprised he didn't say "Happy Holidays" to keep it PC.
50. Sheamus recalls how his holiday was spent drinking and getting gifts.
51. I have more in common with Sheamus than I thought.
52. Sheamus challenges Big Show to a title match for tonight and Big Show comes out to answer.
53. Sheamus says Big Show is a fatter version of Santa.
54. Show says there is no chance Sheamus will get another shot at his title.
55. Sheamus gets all hot-headed and Booker comes out to settle the argument.
56. Booker says Show is right when he says Sheamus lost his shot at the title.
57. Booker also says Sheamus won on Monday and Show stops him and says he is done with Sheamus.
58. He says nobody in the locker room is worthy of a title shot.
59. Booker says every WWE name will be put into a lottery for a chance at Show's title tonight.
60. Booker brings out everyone right away. I guess he had this planned in advance just in case Sheamus and Big Show got into another argument.
61. Is Eve out there as his assistant or for the title shot?
62. Eve and Teddy argue over who will get to pick the name out of the tumbler and they knock it off the table.
63. Booker ends up picking out the name and it is Santino.
64. Big Show looks happy with that outcome and so does Santino.
65. Big Show comes up the ramp and Santino clams up.
66. Big Show just laughs at him and walks away.
67. Remember when they used to have segments where superstars would pick their rumble entry number out of that same tumbler?
68. They should bring that back.
69. Wow! WWE should return from every commercial with a shot of Rosa dancing. It would drive up ratings.
70. Brodus Clay and everyone's favorite dancers are out after the break.
71. Clay is facing Primo, who got the jobber entrance.
72. Primo gets in some early offense, but he makes the mistake of trying to Irish Whip the big man.
73. The looks of horror on Rosa's face when Clay slammed Primo was priceless.
74. Clay hits his big splash to get the win.
75. Rosa comes in and gets in Clay's face.
76. I agree with JBL that Cameron and Naomi attacking her for no reason was unnecessary.
77. Poor Rosa. All she was doing was defending Primo. She didn't hit anybody.
78. Some little kid does a cartwheel for a small pop when they bring in some children to dance in the ring.
79. I want to like Clay, but WWE makes it hard. He is not the typical WWE superstar and I feel like his talent is not being used properly.
80. He is either sent out to lose to someone or he gets a quick win over someone with even less momentum than himself.
81. I get his value to the younger fans, but I don't think that should stop WWE from making him into a monster who is actually feuding with top stars.
82. After the break, we see Sheamus giving Santino a pep talk and Santino looks like he pulls his groin trying to kick really high.
83. Wade Barrett and Rhodes Scholars are in the ring to face Kofi Kingston and Team Hell No.
84. These six guys are some of WWE's more valuable workhorses right now.
85. Bryan and Cody start things off and Kane gets the quick tag for a double team on Rhodes.
86. Sandow tags in and ends up on the receiving end of a sidewalk slam for a near fall.
87. Kofi comes in and Sandow is able to tag in Cody.
88. Barrett makes a quick tag and he and Kofi trade some offense.
89. Barrett backs Kofi to his corner, but Kofi is able to break away.
90. All six men end up in the ring for a staredown as we head to commercial.
91. We return to see Bryan being beaten by the heels.
92. Barrett wraps him up in the ropes and hits a series of knees.
93. Kofi comes in off the hot tag and he ends up getting a near fall on Barrett after a big cross body from the top.
94. All hell breaks loose and Bryan ends up getting hit with a Disaster Kick on the outside.
95. After some exchanges, we see Barrett get the win with the Bull Hammer on Kofi Kingston.
96. This will clearly lead to Barrett getting a rematch for the IC title at some point.
97. I hope Barrett wins it. Having Kofi and Barrett go back and forth once or twice with the belt would make for a good long-term feud.
98. Booker is backstage with Big Show and Show is trying to get out of having a match since Santino is out from his groin injury.
99. Booker says they are going to do the tumbler again and Show asks how that is fair.
100. Booker won't tell him who he picked out of the tumbler.
101. After the break we see Big Show find out he is facing Ricardo Rodriguez and he laughs.
102. Show puts the belt on Ricky's shoulder and makes him announce himself as World champion.
103. Big Show hits the KO punch on him and Booker freaks out.
104. Show walks away with his title.
105. We go to the ring and Zack Ryder is out for the next match.
106. It looks like Ryder is being fed to Cesaro this week.
107. Cesaro dominates almost the whole match.
108. I don't see how Cesaro jumping up in the air and landing with both feet on Ryder's gut is not extremely painful.
109. The crowd chants USA a couple times throughout the match.
110. Ryder ends up getting some momentum and he hits all his signatures on Cesaro.
111. Cesaro ends up hitting a huge European uppercut and then the Neutralizer for the pin and the win.
112. After another break, we get Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler.
113. This might end up being match of the night. Both guys have the ability to make sure it happens.
114. Miz gets the upper hand early on.
115. AJ watches adoringly as Ziggler comes back with some hard right hands.
116. Langston catches Ziggler as he gets tossed over the top rope.
117. Big E. didn't budge one bit when he caught Ziggler.
118. Ziggler catches Miz coming off the top rope with a dropkick as we head to a commercial.
119. Good match so far.
120. We return to Ziggler dropping an elbow for a near fall.
121. Miz and Ziggler have some great back-and-forth action leading up to Miz hitting the back/neckbreaker combo for a near fall.
122. Ziggler tries for a sleeper but he gets thrown off and hit with a short DDT for a two count.
123. After Miz hits his corner clothesline he locks eyes with Langston before hitting a diving axe handle.
124. Miz blows a kiss at AJ and Langston comes up on the steps.
125. Miz gets distracted and Ziggler hits the Zig Zag for the pin and the win.
126. That was a very entertaining match. It won't win match of the year or anything like that, but for a free TV match, it was solid.
127. Miz grabs a mic after the match and tells AJ that no matter which superstar she is with on New Year's Eve, the night will end with a bang.
128. Ziggler runs back to the ring and gets knocked on the head with a mic.
129. Langston comes in and lays out Miz with a clothesline and The Big Ending.
130. AJ skips around as Miz lay in the ring with Langston and Ziggler standing over.
131. AJ and Ziggler make out over Miz.
132. Booker is backstage checking on Ricky, and Brad Maddox walks in.
133. He asks for one more chance and Booker says this is his last shot.
134. Del Rio runs in and checks on Ricky. He is pissed Big Show did this to his friend.
135. Booker offers to give Del Rio a title shot to make up for it.
136. So I guess the whole lottery concept was pointless.
137. After the break, we get Brad Maddox vs. Sheamus.
138. Maddox tries to leave the ring and Sheamus wants him to stay and fight.
139. Maddox jumps and tries for a headlock but Sheamus easily overpowers him.
140. Sheamus throws off a rear waistlock and Maddox tries for an armbar, only to get taken down with a headlock takeover.
141. JBL just called Booker T the greatest GM in the history of sports.
142. Was he being sarcastic? If not, then I am very confused as to why the best commentator on TV today would say such a stupid thing.
143. Maddox ends up getting in a few hard shots to Sheamus in the corner, but Sheamus doesn't let it last long.
144. Sheamus hits White Noise and then calls for the Brogue Kick.
145. He winds up and hits Maddox square in the jaw for the pin and the win.
146. I gotta give Maddox credit. He can sell pretty well.
147. The ad for the Best Matches of 2012 DVD makes me think it might be worth the purchase. There were a lot of great matches this past year.
148. After the break, we get The Usos vs. Prime Time Players.
149. Darren Young and Jimmy Uso start off.
150. Jey tags in and they hit a double team for a near fall.
151. Titus tags in and ends up laying out Jey with a big boot.
152. The Usos pull a Bella move and switch spots.
153. They end up getting the win with a quick rollup on Young.
154. Finally! The Usos get a big "W."
155. After the break, we get more Blair Witch-style camera work from The Shield.
156. I really like how WWE hasn't overused The Shield so far.
157. Big Show is with Matt Striker talking about how it is unfair he had to defend his title against Alberto Del Rio.
158. Del Rio leaves the car at home this week and comes to the ring with a clear goal.
159. Del Rio gets aggressive right after the bell but Big Show's power proves to be too much for him.
160. The crowd chants that Big Show sucks as he throws Del Rio into the steel steps.
161. Del Rio is able to keep Big Show down with a series of kicks to the face to finally get some breathing room.
162. Del Rio hits a nasty side kick for a near fall.
163. ADR tries for the Cross-Arm Breaker and Big Show blocks it and shoves him out of the ring.
164. Show walks up the ramp to leave and Sheamus attacks Big Show in the aisle, causing a disqualification.
165. Show dispenses with Sheamus and walks up the ramp again.
166. The whole locker room comes out and attacks Big Show for what he said earlier.
167. We have heels and faces all teaming up to beat on Big Show.
168. When Show gets thrown back in the ring, Del Rio hits a beautiful kick and Sheamus follows it up with a Brogue Kick.
169. The show ends with everyone laughing at Big Show.
170. Why isn't Del Rio pissed that Sheamus caused a DQ in his match?
171. I would have to say that this week's set of shows was about average for WWE these days.
172. There were a few good matches, some filler and a little storyline development.
173. Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel getting a win on Main Event was great.
174. AJ and Ziggler have a strange Sid-and-Nancy kind of thing going, and I am not sure if I like it.
175. Them making out over defeated opponents is a little messed up.
176. It was business as usual this week, which might not be such a bad thing considering they have to keep their best stuff for the period leading into WrestleMania.
177. Khali probably won't win the US title, but seeing Cesaro hit his finisher on Khali would certainly help the Swiss superstar.
178. The final SmackDown of the year certainly did not reflect the last year to me, but not every show can be a big success after doing thousands of them.
179. Thanks for reading, and feel free to share your thoughts on the show below.
Follow me on Twitter @BR_Doctor
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?