Robert Guerrero doesn't belong in the same ring as Floyd Mayweather Jr., something that will become apparent if they square off in 2013.
Boxingscene.com reports that a deal is almost complete that would see Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 KOs), the interim WBC welterweight champion, challenge Mayweather (43-0, 26 KOs) for the WBC welterweight championship belt on May 4 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
ESPN's Dan Rafael says that things aren't quite that close, but he doesn't dispute that this fight is in the works (via Twitter):
For those asking, NO Mayweather-Guerrero isn't set. Could it be for 5/4? Yes. Is it now? NO. Dont expect anything concrete til post holidays— Dan Rafael (@danrafaelespn) December 22, 2012
Technically, the mandatory challenger to Mayweather's welterweight belt, Guerrero only recently began getting serious attention after winning a unanimous decision over Andre Berto last month.
But Andre Berto isn't on the same level as Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Don't take this as a slight against "The Ghost," because he's a talented fighter who has earned a shot at Mayweather.
A southpaw, Guerrero is a versatile fighter who can take a punch and is as comfortable forcing the action as he is allowing the fight to come to him and playing defense.
But Mayweather, the master tactician, is the superior fighter, even with the discrepancy in age between the two (Mayweather would be 36, Guerrero 30) if the fight went off on what we might as well call "Cinco de Mayweather," thanks to his penchant for fighting on that weekend.
Mayweather is quicker, stronger and more accurate than Guerrero, and as far as being a technician in the ring, Mayweather has never met anyone on the same level.
As I said, Guerrero deserves his shot at Mayweather, and he will undoubtedly bring his "A-game to the ring.
But this fight will be nothing more than a low-risk tuneup for the champion for a fight later in the year against Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.