Lionel Messi's new deal with Barcelona is done. Meanwhile, Lucio is just plain done at Juventus.
Messi's new contract and Lucio's abrupt Italian departure lead this Tuesday edition of the B/R World Football Gossip Roundup. Inside, we also have updates on Dani Alves, Demba Ba, Joleon Lescott and Nicolas Anelka.
Read on for all the details.
Lionel Messi has agreed to a new deal that will keep him under contract with Barcelona until 2018 (via The Guardian).
Messi, 25, came up through Barcelona's youth system and made his first-team debut in 2004. He will turn 31 around the time the new contract expires.
Barcelona also signed midfielder Xavi Hernandez, 32, and defender Carles Puyol, 34, to new contracts. Puyol said he would like to keep playing until age 40 (via ESPN FC).
Juventus have canceled the contract of Brazilian defender Lucio and confirmed he left the club by mutual consent (via FIFA.com).
Lucio, 34, joined Juventus in the summer and made only four appearances. He had been released by Inter Milan at the end of last season.
According to Eurosport-Yahoo!, Lucio is expected to return to Germany. He formerly played for Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is considering a January bid for out-of-favor Barcelona right-back Dani Alves, according to the Daily Mail.
Alves, 29, would be a potential replacement for Bacary Sagna. Sagna has been linked with Paris Saint-Germain.
Meanwhile, Arsenal are also being linked with Newcastle forward Demba Ba. According to The Sun, Ba said Arsenal "make you dream."
Joleon Lescott could contemplate a loan move away from Manchester City this January in a bid for more playing time (via The Guardian).
Lescott, 30, has lost his starting place in manager Roberto Mancini's team. He remains a regular in Roy Hodgson's England team and needs first-team club appearances.
Lescott's former club Everton are thought to be among his options.
Former French international Nicolas Anelka is negotiating an end to his contract with Shanghai Shenhua (via Daily Telegraph).
Anelka, 33, reportedly has agreed to give up the final year of his contract and $7 million in compensation. He reportedly wants to return to England and play for Premier League relegation strugglers QPR.