Here are the answers to yesterday’s quiz.
1. John McGraw managed the Yankees when they were known as the Baltimore Orioles in 1901 and ‘02.
2. Casey Stengel was the only manager to lead three New York teams. He managed the Brooklyn Dodgers (1934-’36), the Yankees (1949-’60) and the Mets (1962-’65).
3. Casey Stengel, Yogi Berra, Joe Torre and Dallas Green managed both the Yankees and the Mets.
4. Gil Hodges, Yogi Berra, Roy McMillan, Dallas Green, Joe Torre, Bud Harrelson, Mike Cubbage, Bobby Valentine and Willie Randolph managed and played for the Mets.
5. Joe McCarthy and Casey Stengel both won seven World Series for the Yankees.
6. In 1965, Yogi Berra was a coach for the Mets and also came to the plate nine times for them that season.
7. Besides managing the Yankees, Billy Martin also managed the Twins (’69), Tigers (’71-’73), Rangers (’73-’75) and A’s (’80-’82).
8. Jeff Torborg caught Sandy Koufax’s perfect game in ‘65 and one of Nolan Ryan’s no-hitters in ‘73. He also caught Bill Singer’s no-hitter in 1970.
9. When George Steinbrenner started running the Yankees in 1973, Ralph Houk was already in place as the manager. The first manager he hired was Bill Virdon in 1974.
10. The last season for the Dodgers and Giants in New York was 1957. Walter Alston managed the Dodgers, and Bill Rigney led the Giants.