Fantasy Football Week 13: Top 24 Tight End Rankings
Fantasy football’s top two healthy options at tight end, Tony Gonzalez of the Atlanta Falcons and Jimmy Graham of the New Orleans Saints, have already fulfilled their NFL duties for Week 13 on Thursday Night Football.
Each was productive enough to not cause regret if you started them. But Graham was mildly disappointing, catching just four passes for 59 yards. Gonzalez also grabbed just four passes for 58 yards. But he performed pretty well from the fantasy football perspective because he also scored a touchdown.
With the way tight ends have been performing lately, Gonzalez’s stat line is probably good enough to keep him entrenched in the top 10 for Week 13. Graham’s, however, may be more in line with some of the guys below.
6. Jermichael Finley, Green Bay Packers (vs. Minnesota Vikings).
7. Marcedes Lewis, Jacksonville Jaguars (at Buffalo Bills).
8. Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers (at St. Louis Rams).
9. Kyle Rudolph, Minnesota Vikings (at Green Bay Packers).
10. Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers (vs. Cincinnati Bengals).
11. Greg Olsen, Carolina Panthers (at Kansas City Chiefs).
12. Jermaine Gresham, Cincinnati Bengals (at San Diego Chargers).
13. Dallas Clark, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (at Denver Broncos).
14. Martellus Bennett, New York Giants (at Washington Redskins).
15. Jared Cook, Tennessee Titans (vs. Houston Texans).
16. Scott Chandler, Buffalo Bills (vs. Jacksonville Jaguars).
17. Dustin Keller, New York Jets (vs. Arizona Cardinals).
18. Jacob Tamme, Denver Broncos (vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers).
19. Heath Miller, Pittsburgh Steelers (at Baltimore Ravens).
20. Dennis Pitta, Baltimore Ravens (vs. Pittsburgh Steelers).
21. Dwayne Allen, Indianapolis Colts (at Detroit Lions).
22. Benjamin Watson, Cleveland Browns (at Oakland Raiders).
23. Tony Moeaki, Kansas City Chiefs (vs. Carolina Panthers).
24. Brandon Myers, Oakland Raiders (vs. Cleveland Browns).
Here are the top five tight ends this week.
5. Owen Daniels, Houston Texans (at Tennessee Titans)
Owen Daniels’ Week 13 opponent, the Tennessee Titans, used to be fantasy football’s most favorable matchup for tight ends. That was a long time ago. Tennessee hasn’t given up a touchdown to the position since Week 5.
Nevertheless, Daniels has found the end zone six times since Week 3. He had six grabs for 72 yards and a touchdown against the Titans in Week 4.
4. Anthony Fasano, Miami Dolphins (vs. New England Patriots)
Anthony Fasano has caught just one pass in each of the Miami Dolphins’ last five games. Trusting him in Week 13 is a major risk, but his matchup against the New England Patriots can’t be ignored. New England puts points on the board, which should force Miami to throw for nearly the duration of the game.
The Patriots have allowed 22 catches for 268 yards and two touchdowns to tight ends in the last three weeks. Fasano is a big-time sleeper who could have a monster performance on Sunday.
Don’t be surprised if it happens.
3. Brandon Pettigrew, Detroit Lions (vs. Indianapolis Colts)
Brandon Pettigrew has been a fantasy disappointment this season, but he’s had a few decent performances in recent weeks. In Week 8, he caught seven passes for 74 yards. In Week 10, it was three for 32 and a touchdown.
On Thanksgiving, he grabbed eight balls for 74 yards (again). He’ll face an Indianapolis Colts defense in Week 13 that has seen its floodgates open against tight ends in the last month. It allowed one TD to players at the position through the season’s first eight weeks—and four in the last four.
2. Aaron Hernandez, New England Patriots (at Miami Dolphins)
In his second game back from injury, Aaron Hernandez should be poised to have a big day for the New England Patriots. The team scored 49 points against the New York Jets, even though he only caught two passes for 36 yards. So his statistical influence isn’t entirely necessary. But every tight end seems to be a risk in fantasy football nowadays.
Hernandez’s upside is almost unmatched, though, which earns him a top-five spot in Week 13.
1. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys (vs. Philadelphia Eagles)
The Philadelphia Eagles haven’t stopped anybody’s passing game recently. Despite being one of the top-10 worst matchups for tight ends (ESPN standard scoring), Philadelphia has given up three TDs in its last four games.
Jason Witten has caught seven or more passes from Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo in each of his last five appearances. All it takes is a touchdown to set him up as one of fantasy football’s top performers in any given week.
For more fantasy football advice, follow Jamal on Twitter: Follow @StatManJ
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!