Would a bigger Champions League be a better Champions League? We might find out in a few years' time.
UEFA's potential expansion of its flagship tournament leads this Wednesday edition of the B/R World Football Gossip Roundup. Inside, we also have updates on Luiz Adriano's poor sportsmanship and transfer news on Kevin Strootman, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Fernando Llorente.
Keep reading for all the details.
European football governing body UEFA is considering changes to the Europa League and Champions League. The Europa League could be eliminated and the Champions League group stage could be expanded to 64 teams (via The Guardian).
As many as seven English teams would qualify for the expanded Champions League group stage.
UEFA president Michel Platini told French newspaper Ouest France: "There is a debate to determine what form the European competitions will have between 2015 and 2018. We are discussing it, we will make a decision in 2014. There is nothing decided yet."
Platini added that UEFA is also debating whether to use video for offside decisions.
Shakhtar Donetsk forward Luiz Adriano has been suspended for one match by UEFA for "violation of the principles of conduct" during a Champions League match last week in Denmark (via The Telegraph).
Adriano, 25, scored as stunned defenders looked on after both teams had decided to return the ball to FC Nordsjaelland. He later apologized.
The incident can be viewed in the video above.
As part of his punishment, UEFA also ordered Adriano to perform "one full day of community football service."
The agent of Dutch midfielder Kevin Strootman says Manchester United are interested in signing him from PSV Eindhoven, according to talkSPORT.
Strootman, 22, joined PSV from Utrecht in 2011. He has been capped 15 times by the Netherlands, scoring once.
Agent Chiel Dekker said: “All the top clubs in Europe know about Kevin, but a move to England next summer is his first priority and, yes, Manchester United and other big clubs in Europe have been in touch with me.”
Schalke 04 general manager Horst Heldt says Arsenal cannot afford Dutch striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, according to The Sun.
Arsenal are thought to be interested in Huntelaar, 29. Manager Arsene Wenger is thought to be considering a bid of £6 million.
Elsewhere, the Daily Mirror reports that winger Theo Walcott and full-back Bacary Sagna have been left out of Arsenal's 2013 calendar. The omissions have led to speculation about the players' futures with Arsenal, but Wenger has denied the connection.
Finally, the Daily Mail reports that Wenger has confirmed his interest in 20-year-old Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha.