I have ranked all of the divisions and gave them new nicknames that I believe describe the traits of the division.
1. NFC South: This division is four deep and is the most unpredictable of all divisions. Last season they almost all went 3-3 within the division. Sound good enough.
Playoff-Caliber teams: Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers
New Nickname: The Psychotic Anomaly Division
2. AFC East: This is a very deep division, but the Patriots are the only consistent team in the division. The rest of the division is on the rise, but if history repeats itself this division may be the Patriots again soon.
Playoff-Caliber teams: New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins
Potential is there: Buffalo Bills and New York Jets
New Nickname: The So Close but So far Division
3. NFC East: The most hyped division in all of the NFL. They always compete hard, but when push comes to shove, they tend to fade. The division is known for talkative players and for hurting each other. Sounds good but they just are not that good.
Playoff-Caliber Teams: N.Y. Giants and Philadelphia Eagles
Potential is there: Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins
New Nickname: The Self-Implosion Division
4. AFC South: Two amazing teams with two potentially good teams. The age of the Colts has made the division competitive again. Each year one team aside from the Colts plays well, but that’s it.
Playoff-Caliber teams: Indianapolis Colts and Tennessee Titans
Potential is there: Houston Texans and Jacksonville Jaguars
New Nickname: The Two at a Time Division
5. AFC North: Only two good teams in this division. The other two are basically crap. They have had their years but the Steelers and the Ravens are much better teams.
Playoff-Caliber teams: Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens
Bad Teams: Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns
New Nickname: The You are Going to Get Hit Division
6. NFC North: Every year one of the teams shows what it can do, but never more then two in one year. Then the division has the worst team in the NFL, which hurts their stock.
Playoff-Caliber teams: Minnesota Vikings
Potential is there: Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers
Worst team: Detroit Lions
New Nickname: Ye Olde Division
7. NFC West: Yes they have put teams in the Super Bowl the last few years but only the Rams have prevailed. This division has some good rivalries, but that is about it.
Playoff-Caliber teams: Arizona Cardinals
Potential is there: San Francisco 49ers
Bad Teams: Seattle Seahawks and St. Louis Rams
New Nickname: The Lower Expectations Division
8. AFC West: Not one team in this division does what it is supposed to. Well that is not entirely true when they are expected to lose they do tend to lose.
Playoff-Caliber teams: San Diego Chargers
Potential is there: Denver Broncos
Bad Teams: Oakland Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs
New Nickname: The There is Always Next Year Division