St-Pierre vs. Condit Fight Video: Complete Analysis and Highlights

Patrick Clarke@@_Pat_ClarkeCorrespondent INovember 18, 2012

Nov 17, 2012; Montreal, QC, Canada;  Georges St-Pierre reacts after the fifth round of his Welterweight Championship bout against Carlos Condit at UFC 154 at the Bell Centre.  St-Pierre defeated Condit by unanimous decision.  Mandatory Credit: Eric Bolte-US PRESSWIRE

Saturday night's main event at UFC 154 in Montreal had everything you could ever want in a fight. There were five thrilling rounds, numerous devastating blows, countless takedowns and more blood than sweat.

In the end, though, it was a determined Georges St-Pierre fending off a blood-soaked Carlos Condit to return to the welterweight throne and improve his record to 10-0 in fights that go the distance. 

St-Pierre was right at home in the capital of Quebec and quickly felt right at home inside the Octagon, taking Condit to the mat with the fight's first takedown nearly two minutes into the first round. From there he would control the opening round and win on the scorecard.

St-Pierre's dominant first round was the most important five minutes of the fight in my eyes. After 18 months away, it was crucial that he got acclimated to the environment and won an early takedown to boost his confidence.

In the second round, both fighters exchanged some fists and kicks, but St-Pierre got the better of Condit, landing some powerful jabs before again taking Condit to the ground with a successful takedown.

Later in the round, St-Pierre produced another pivotal moment when he opened a gash above Condit's right eye. The massive amount of blood hampered Condit's vision for the time being and certainly gave the judges something to consider.

Although the fight was won after five rounds, the third round was where Condit's one chance at an upset came and went.

He landed a head kick 30 seconds into the round, catching St-Pierre off guard and knocking him to the mat. Here's where the fight was lost for Condit. If he could have landed enough significant blows during the swarm that followed maybe the referee waves the fight off, but instead St-Pierre successfully defended and was back on his feet less than a minute later before again taking Condit to the mat to take the round.

The third round was by far the most exciting one for Condit fans. He proved that St-Pierre can be damaged and was a few connections away from finishing the Canadian.

Unfortunately for the interim champ, the two championship rounds would be won by St-Pierre as well, as he took Condit to the floor in the fourth and fifth round, raining down elbows on Condit's head and proving to be the superior wrestler. 

St-Pierre's incredible wrestling prowess won him the fight without question.

Though his jab did some damage early, it was St-Pierre's unrivaled lower body strength and ability to stay on top that was ultimately too much for Condit. St-Pierre was seven-for-seven on his takedown attempts through five rounds and neutralized the striking threat that Condit displayed in his explosive third round.

There was nothing not to love about Saturday's main event. St-Pierre was the dominant fighter and proved why he's the undisputed welterweight champion. Condit fought with tons of heart, but missed his golden opportunity to shock the world.


Follow Bleacher Report Featured Columnist Patrick Clarke on Twitter. 

Follow _Pat_Clarke on Twitter