UFC logoUFC

Alistair Overeem: Junior Dos Santos Is Still Afraid of Me

Dec 30, 2011; Las Vegas, NV, USA; UFC fighter Alistair Overeem celebrates after defeating Brock Lesnar (not pictured) during a heavyweight bout at UFC 141 at the MGM Grand Garden event center. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-US PRESSWIRE
Mark J. Rebilas-US PRESSWIRE
McKinley NobleCorrespondent INovember 1, 2012

Based on Junior dos Santos' words and actions during the last month, UFC title contender Alistair Overeem thinks the heavyweight champion is afraid to face him in the Octagon.

With a failed bid to compete at UFC 155, Overeem is accusing dos Santos of changing his script during recent interviews. In a chat with Dutch website Mixfight.nl (via MMA Mania), Overeem suggests that dos Santos is frequently contradicting himself at every turn out of fear that the two will eventually have to fight:

Junior dos Santos says all kind of things that don't really make sense. First he begged to Dana White he wanted to fight me, so as a fighter I accept such a challenge right away. Now he's saying that I don't deserve a title fight. He has to make up his mind as he's changing his story all the time. The same stuff he was saying about me going to the school of Chael Sonnen. I never made the fight between us personal and I never bad mouthed him, the only thing I said was that I think he's afraid of me which I think he still is.

Overeem also discussed his current training with the Florida-based Blackzilians team, which has recently recruited Dutch UFC welterweight Siyar Bahadurzada. "The Demolition Man" also said that he's been partying frequently without a fight scheduled, but he does have projects in the works:

I have talked with Eldar Gross and we both agreed that we are going to continue with the Reem online documentaries. So to answer your question, season 3 will come. I don’t know exactly when but I think that we are going to start filming somewhere in December or so.

Overeem was originally scheduled to challenge for the UFC title after defeating Brock Lesnar by TKO at UFC 141 last year. However, a positive test for elevated testosterone levels (a 14:1 ratio over the legal 6:1 limit) scrapped plans for a UFC 146 match between himself and dos Santos, leading to a nine-month suspension that lifts in December 2012.

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices