NHL Lockout

NHL Lockout: Multiple Proposals Reportedly Lead to 'Step Back' in Labor Talks

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 13:  Commissioner Gary Bettman of the National Hockey League speaks to the media at Crowne Plaza Times Square on September 13, 2012 in New York City.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
Rob GoldbergFeatured ColumnistOctober 18, 2012

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman had a meeting with the NHLPA on Thursday, but it did not end the way hockey fans wanted.

The biggest issue between the two sides, the split in revenue between owners and players, continued to be a source of frustration on the negotiating table. The players were given 57 percent in the last CBA, but the owners wanted the majority this time around.

A few days ago, Bettman announced that he offered the union a 50-50 split, according to Jesse Spector of the Sporting News. In a press conference, he told the media:

The fact of the matter is, we offered a 50-50 share of (hockey-related revenue between owners and players), and we believe we addressed the concern that players have about what happens to their salaries as a result in this year of reducing the percentage from 57 to 50 percent.

Unfortunately, the response by the NHLPA was not great, according to Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.

 

Bettman confirms NHLPA made three counter proposals. Says none of them "even began to approach 50-50." Not encouraged

— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) October 18, 2012

 

Bettman was hoping to either settle the dispute in Thursday's meeting or at least move in the right direction. However, things do not look bright for a settlement in the near future. LeBrun tweeted some of the commissioner's reactions.

 

"I am to say the least totally disappointed." - Bettman

— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) October 18, 2012

 

 

Bettman calls it a "step backward."

— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) October 18, 2012

 

The difference in percentages is no small ordeal. The league earned $3.3 billion in total revenue last year, and the players would lose a total of $231 million if they lose seven percent of that number, according to TSN.ca.

TSN anchor Nabil Karim quotes Bettman on Twitter about his next move.

 

Bettman on next step: I don't know, hopefully we will hear back, but I'm disappointed #TSN #NHL

Nabil Karim (@NabilKarimTSN) October 18, 2012

 

For players, owners and fans hoping for a quick and peaceful resolution, that opportunity is gone. The lockout has lasted more than 30 days and has taken away 82 regular season games. If the latest meeting is any indication, the start of the season is still a long way away.

Hopefully, the next two sides will be much closer the next time they meet.

 

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices