Donaire was impressive, but Nishioka failed to show up.
Nonito Donaire, fresh off his impressive victory Saturday night, is looking at a December return to the ring against WBO bantamweight champion Jorge Arce.
Arce (60-6-2 46 KO 1 NC), who has won multiple world titles in multiple weight divisions, is an exciting, all-action fighter who will make for an explosive contest with Donaire.
Donaire defeated Toshiaki Nishioka of Japan by ninth round stoppage, in a fight that was lackluster, largely due to the challenger's unwillingness to mount any offensive attack.
The fight with Arce is contingent on an injury to Donaire's hand, sustained in his fight with Nishioka, not being severe enough to force him to miss time.
"If the left hand is okay, then I will try to have him fight again before the end of the year, in Mexico, at that new arena in Mexico City - against Arce," Top Rank CEO Bob Arum told Rick Reeno of Boxingscene.com.
The news will come as a disappointment to many boxing fans, who hoped to see Donaire return to the ring against fellow super-bantamweight champion Abner Mares.
Mares defends his title against a stiff challenge from Anselmo Moreno, the reigning bantamweight champion, who is moving up in weight for the fight.
But unfortunately for fight fans, Mares is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions, the oil to Arum's water. The two companies rarely, if ever do business with one another, and recently the war of words between the outfits has escalated.
Arum has discussed holding the bout in the new arena in Mexico City and the Dec. 15 HBO date, which was originally supposed to feature Timothy Bradley, could be where it lands.
Bradley told his local newspaper The Desert Sun last week that he was considering skipping the date and instead focus on landing a big fight in 2013.
That would leave a void in Top Rank and HBO's calendar, which this fight could fill.