Jake Shields Releases Statement Regarding Suspension
Earlier this week, we learnt (via MMAfighting.com) that former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields was popped for using a banned substance. However, we weren’t told what that substance was, leaving us speculating whether it was an innocent mistake or something more sinister.
Now Shields himself, who recently moved back up to middleweight after a brief stint as a UFC welterweight contender, has spoken out. In a press release, seen by Bleacher Report, the fighter said:
“Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.
This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC and I have apologized to them and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.”
The tone of contrition in his statement suggests Shields used a performance-enhancing substance he knew was banned. But we can’t be sure, since the Colorado Office of Boxing did not release the UFC 150 test results to the public following the August 11 event, which took place at the Pepsi Center in Denver.
We don’t know is why this information has been made public now, two months after the failed test, nor do we know what the substance was. Perhaps it was testosterone Shields was using to help him pack on the muscle and move back up to middleweight. Or maybe it was marijuana, the same drug which caught his Cesar Gracie teammate, Nick Diaz.
At the moment, there are more questions than answers.
However, we do know that the fighter has been suspended for six months from the date of his UFC 150 fight and will be able to fight again in February.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?