Love him or hate him, the New York Yankees' Derek Jeter is still the most popular player in MLB.
MLBPlayers.com reported on the top 20 selling jerseys since the 2012 All-Star break, and there aren’t really any names that don’t belong. However, there are some names that surprised me.
Jeter is No. 1 followed by Josh Hamilton, Ichiro Suzuki, Bryce Harper and Mike Trout.
It’s great to see Suzuki is still important to the fans.
Considering he played his whole career in Seattle, and his game and exploits were usually missed due to late starts on the East Coast, we were not really able to see just how good he was. Now that he has been traded to the Yankees, his talents are definitely getting a lot more attention.
The list is littered with big names like Chipper Jones, Justin Verlander, Matt Kemp and Robinson Cano. Sitting at 12, 13, 14, 18 and 20 are David Freese, Joey Votto, Ian Kinsler, Yadier Molina and Brett Lawrie.
Popular in their own right and amazing athletes on the field, these are not the typical names you’d most likely see.
Take Lawrie for example.
His year has been anything but special, but he sure knows how to make an impact. Whether it was the helmet toss, or his excitability on the field, the homegrown Canadian product living the dream for the Toronto Blue Jays has a huge fanbase.
When you compare the list from 2011 to 2012, a lot has changed.
Jeter topped the list in 2011, and Josh Hamilton made the top five, but Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Tim Lincecum, Dustin Pedroia, Ryan Braun, Carl Crawford and Albert Pujols didn't make the cut in 2012.
It looks as if there is a changing of the guard, but also that it's never too late for the cagey vets to get in one last good run.
For a complete list, please see below.
1. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
2. Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
3. Ichiro Suzuki, New York Yankees
4. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
5. Mike Trout, LA Angels of Anaheim
6. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
7. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
8. Chipper Jones, Atlanta Braves
9. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers
10. Robinson Cano, New York Yankees
11. Matt Kemp, Los Angeles Dodgers
12. David Freese, St. Louis Cardinals
13. Joey Votto, Cincinnati Reds
14. Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers
15. Prince Fielder, Detroit Tigers
16. Jose Bautista, Toronto Blue Jays
17. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
18. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
19. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
20. Brett Lawrie, Toronto Blue Jays
Devon is a manager at a financial institution in Northern Ontario, Canada, and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow The GM's Perspective on Twitter and Facebook. His full bio can be seen here.