If you were doing a fantasy draft today, how high would you take C.J. Spiller? Knowing what we know now, of course—that Spiller is the No. 1 running back entering Week 4—Spiller has made a case to be a first- or second-round pick.
He is, after all, outperforming Arian Foster, Ray Rice, LeSean McCoy and everybody else at the position.
Spiller is dealing with a shoulder injury but is still under consideration to play in Week 4 against the New England Patriots. That means I can’t drop him down my list of fantasy running backs, but it also keeps him from being the top guy.
How high does he rank in my top 50 running backs for the rest of the season? Find out below.
1. LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia Eagles (Week 3: 1)
The Eagles know they’re fortunate to be in the spot that they are in the NFL standings. LeSean McCoy will help keep them there if he gets the touches.
2. Arian Foster, Houston Texans (2)
This guy is still getting 25 carries per game. What’s not to like?
3. Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens (3)
Rice got 20 carries in Week 3 and 18 more four nights later. Now he gets a long week off to fly to Kansas City.
4. Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks (4)
Lost in the drama of Monday Night Football in Week 3, among several things, was the fact that Lynch took 25 carries.
5. DeMarco Murray, Dallas Cowboys (5)
Murray put together a double-digit fantasy performance against a tough Tampa Bay Buccaneers run defense.
6. C.J. Spiller, Buffalo Bills (6)
He’s been a beast.
7. Darren McFadden, Oakland Raiders (3)
McFadden got his first 100-yard rushing game and rushing touchdown in Week 3.
8. Jamaal Charles, Kansas City Chiefs (19)
Charles had 33 carries, 233 yards and a long touchdown. In one week. Yep, he’s a top 10 back again.
9. Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville Jaguars (11)
MJD also took a bunch of carries and exploded into a monster game while facing a suspect defense.
10. Reggie Bush, Miami Dolphins (13)
Like Spiller, Bush left the game in Week 3 to an injury and practiced Friday. That means he can’t drop down this list due to injury.
11. Trent Richardson, Cleveland Browns (12)
Richardson further proved he belongs in the NFL with a touchdown against the Ravens on a short week in Week 3.
12. Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers (10)
He’s still averaging better than five yards per carry, but his touch count is going in the wrong direction.
13. Doug Martin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8)
Martin still has the job to himself down in Tampa Bay.
14. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings (9)
Peterson took 25 carries into the brick wall that masquerades as the San Francisco 49ers' run defense. That, at least, shows a trust in his endurance and his knee.
15. Mikel Leshoure, Detroit Lions (35)
Ladies and gentlemen: your newest fantasy football featured back.
16. BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Cincinnati Bengals (14)
17. Steven Jackson, St. Louis Rams (16)
18. Alfred Morris, Washington Redskins (21)
19. Matt Forte, Chicago Bears (29)
20. Ryan Mathews, San Diego Chargers (17)
21. Stevan Ridley, New England Patriots (15)
22. Willis McGahee, Denver Broncos (23)
23. Ben Tate, Houston Texans (26)
24. Ryan Williams, Arizona Cardinals (42)
25. Darren Sproles, New Orleans Saints (22)
26. Fred Jackson, Buffalo Bills (30)
Is Chris Johnson (28) too high, too low or just right?
27. Cedric Benson, Green Bay Packers (27)
28. Chris Johnson, Tennessee Titans (20)
29. Ahmad Bradshaw, New York Giants (31)
30. Michael Bush, Chicago Bears (18)
31. Jacquizz Rodgers, Atlanta Falcons (36)
32. Andre Brown, New York Giants (24)
33. Donald Brown, Indianapolis Colts (25)
34. Jonathan Stewart, Carolina Panthers (33)
35. DeAngelo Williams, Carolina Panthers (37)
36. Michael Turner, Atlanta Falcons (38)
37. Shonn Greene, New York Jets (34)
38. Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh Steelers (44)
39. Tashard Choice, Buffalo Bills (unranked)
40. Daniel Thomas, Miami Dolphins (unranked)
41. Daryl Richardson, St. Louis Rams (32)
42. Lamar Miller, Miami Dolphins (unranked)
43. Bilal Powell, New York Jets (unranked)
44. Jackie Battle, San Diego Chargers (43)
45. David Wilson, New York Giants (41)
46. Mark Ingram, New Orleans Saints (47)
47. Mike Tolbert, Carolina Panthers (50)
48. Robert Turbin, Seattle Seahawks (45)
49. Kevin Smith, Detroit Lions (28)
50. Pierre Thomas, New Orleans Saints (unranked)