Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton officially announced his comeback today at a press conference in his native Manchester. It had been speculated that Hatton would be making his return to the ring for some time now, so today’s announcement was more of a formality.
Hatton has not named an opponent at this time, but he has set a date and seems confident he will win.
“The only way to convince everyone I'm back is by flattening someone on 24 November,” Hatton said at a press conference today, according to The Guardian.
This will be Hatton’s first fight back after a hiatus of more than three and a half years, following his devastating second-round knockout loss to Manny Pacquiao.
During his time away from the ring, Hatton has had his fair share of problems. There have been well-documented issues with cocaine, alcohol and bouts of depression.
Hatton has been said to be targeting an eventual rematch with WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi, over whom Hatton already holds a 11-round TKO win.
Malignaggi apparently welcomes a rematch with Hatton. He will first need to get a win over Pablo Cesar Cano on October 20 before a rematch with Hatton can be set up for 2013.
I would expect Hatton to take an easy fight on November 24, against a severely overmatched opponent. Then he will most likely follow the fight up with a match in the first quarter of 2013 against slightly better competition.
Look for a Hatton-versus-Malignaggi rematch to take place sometime in the spring in either England or New York.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!