(Story from Baltimore Sports Report.com)
Since the Baltimore Orioles' last winning season (1997):
- The Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl XXXI
- O.J. Simpson is found liable in civil court for the deaths of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson.
- The English Patient wins Best Picture in the 69th Academy Awards hosted by Billy Crystal
- On July 15, The Dow Jones Industrial Average gains 63.17 to close at 8,038.88. The Dow has doubled its value in 30 months.
- Steve Jobs returns to Apple Computer, Inc
- Microsoft buys a $150 million share of financially troubled Apple Computer
- Diana, Princess of Wales, is taken to a hospital after a car crash shortly after midnight, in the Pont de l’Alma road tunnel in Paris. She is pronounced dead at 04:00 a.m.
- The International Olympic Committee picks Athens, Greece to be the host city for the 2004 Summer Olympics.
- The highest-grossing movie of all time, James Cameron’s Titanic, premiers in the U.S.
- The Toyota Prius comes to showrooms, only in Japan. The Prius is the first hybrid vehicle to go into full production.
- Cost of a postage stamp: $0.32
- Federal debt: $5498.9 billion
- Ellen DeGeneres outs herself as the first openly gay woman to have her own sitcom.
- J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Philospher’s Stone is published in the U.K.
- Seinfeld is the top show on television
- 95 percent of Americans did not own a computer
- Candle In The Wind 1997 by Elton John is the top song
- The Baltimore Orioles finished 98-64, their last winning season