It was reported that Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid came up with the idea of having his players wear shirts that read, “It’s time.” Time is something that has been on Reid’s side since the Eagles introduced him as their new head coach on Monday, January 11, 1999.
How long ago was that? To put it in perspective, consider that the week Reid was hired, The Sopranos premiered on HBO, Jon Stewart took over The Daily Show, and Britney Spears released her debut album. Let’s continue with a deeper examination of the world as it was on January 11, 1999:
• It is the 20th century.
• The Senate busies itself with the President Clinton impeachment trial.
• Y2K is written about ad nauseam.
• There is only one former President Bush.
• "World Trade Center attack" refers to the February 1993 bombing that killed six.
• Barack Obama is an Illinois state senator.
• Columbine is just another high school.
• Charles M. Schulz churns out Peanuts.
• A gallon of regular unleaded gas costs $1.17.
• Hurricane Floyd, which set a one-day Philadelphia record of 6.63 inches of rain, has yet to hit.
• Roger Neilson coaches the Flyers. John Vanbiesbrouck is the starting goalie.
• The Sixers leading scorers are Allen Iverson and Matt Geiger.
• Joe Paterno has amassed 307 wins.
• Temple football is a part of the Big East for the first time.
• Jameer Nelson is a Chester High School Clipper.
Sports Across the Nation
• Super Bowl regulars Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, and Thurman Thomas are Buffalo Bills.
• Garrison Hearst is on the cover of Madden 99.
• Peyton Manning has 26 career TD passes (He now has 399.).
• There are 6 divisions in football.
• The Super Bowl is played in January.
• The Boston Red Sox have not won a World Series in 80 seasons, the White Sox in 82 years.
• There have been 15 perfect games (23).
• Bob Knight is the head coach at Indiana.
• Tiger Woods’s career grand slam total is 1 (14).
• Lance Armstrong has not raced in any of the seven Tour de Frances he would ultimately not win.
• Gabby Douglas is 3 years old.
• Apple is a computer company. iTunes, the iPod, the iPhone, and iPad do not exist.
• Netflix has yet to introduce its monthly subscription concept.
• In film, there are three Star Wars movies and no Lord of the Rings trilogy. Among the flicks yet to be released are The Sixth Sense, The Matrix, American Pie, The Blair Witch Project, Fight Club, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Best in Show, and Remember the Titans.
• Among the TV shows yet to debut are Family Guy, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, The West Wing, CSI, Gilmore Girls, Survivor, SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora the Explorer, Cribs, X.F.L, The Osbournes, Playmakers, and Lost.
• In books, only 1 of the 7 Harry Potters had been published in America. Among other books yet to hit the shelves (since there were no e-readers yet): The Corrections, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, The Da Vinci Code, The Tipping Point, Moneyball, Seabiscuit, and Flags of Our Fathers.
One final note - when the Philadelphia Eagles introduced Andy Reid as their new head coach on January 11, 1999, the franchise had not won the NFL title since 1960.
The more things change...