Boxing superstar and current head of Golden Boy Promotions Oscar de la Hoya reportedly considered lacing up the gloves for a comeback fight later this year, but instead he has decided to stay retired.
According to a report by Michael Woods of ESPN.com, the former six-division world champion would have headlined an October 20 boxing card at the brand new Barclay's Center in Brooklyn, New York against current WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm.
De la Hoya (39-6 30 KO) defeated Sturm by unanimous decision in 2004 to win the WBO middleweight title. The fight was not without controversy, as many felt de la Hoya, who had already signed for a superfight with middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins, didn't deserve the decision.
But at 39 and having not fought since a 2008 wipeout against Manny Pacquiao, de la Hoya decided his time has past.
"I can't do it, can't do it," said de la Hoya at a press conference for the Danny Garcia vs. Erik Morales rematch that will take place at the Barclay's Center on October 20. "I think about making a comeback every single day. I went running, I went training, did that for a few days. But my body couldn't handle it. I'm 39, but I'm an old 39."
De la Hoya also said that his life, both in and out of the ring, contributed to his decision.
"I think my body went through a lot, went through the wringer. In terms of being inside the ring, getting hit, but also outside the ring, living a crazy life. If I have the desire of coming back, I go and work out, and there goes those plans."
De la Hoya defeated 17 world champions and won world titles in six weight classes from super-featherweight to middleweight during his illustrious career.