Tottenham Hotspur are about to make a big splash as the summer transfer window closes, but it's not at the position or for the player you might think.
Rennes chairman Frederic de Saint-Sernin said on Saturday that "[M'Vila] has a concrete offer from England."
That could sound vague, but Tottenham and Arsenal are the only two English clubs that have been heavily linked with M'Vila so far.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was supposedly set to sign him at the beginning of the summer. However, Wenger pulled out of contract negotiations with the 22-year-old because of what Metro reported were concerns "about the player's off-field behaviour."
It's interesting that Spurs would want to pick up such an expensive player who isn't a forward. M'Vila isn't even an attacking threat, he is more of a defensive midfielder.
In 41 appearances for Rennes last season, M'Vila was slotted in defensive midfield on 34 occasions and earned just two assists in all competitions.
Such a large bid for a non-striker says one of several things. Either Luka Modric's departure to Real Madrid is more of a reality than we think, and Spurs are about to get a lot of cash, or Villas-Boas has some new tactics in mind that include securing a centre-midfielder of M'Vila's quality.
Whatever the answers, we'll start to know more when Tottenham take on Newcastle United in the team's league opener this Saturday.