What a day—especially if you're a prospect nerd. On the same day the Indians held their first intrasquad game, the final World Baseball Classic rosters were announced, AND Baseball America released their top 100 prospects for 2009.
The Indians were represented well on both lists. The WBC will feature:
- Grady Sizemore and Mark DeRosa on Team USA
- Shin-Soo Choo playing for Korea
- Rafael Perez pitching for the Dominican Republic
- Prospects Damaso and Paolo Espino on the Panamanian team
- Chen Lee and Sung-Wei Tseng wearing the uniforms of Chinese Taipei
- Up-and-comer Nick Weglarz once again representing Team Canada
The US is only carrying four true outfielders, so I wouldn't be surprised if DeRosa saw some time in the outfield as well.
On Baseball America's list, Carlos Santana and Matt LaPorta checked in consecutively at 26th and 27th. The aforementioned Nick Weglarz is 58th. And Adam Miller was 82nd. BA expects LaPorta and Miller to make their MLB debuts this year, with Santana and Weglarz hitting The Show in 2010.