Alexei Cherepanov's death could have been prevented if the KHL's Avangard Omsk had proper medical staffing and equipment.
Cherepanov died shortly after collapsing on the bench during a KHL league game. Jaromir Jagr was sitting next to his linemate when he noticed Cherepanov was collapsed on the floor.
TSN later had a story which helped explain the circumstances surrounding Cherepanov's death.
Russia's federal Investigative Committee said a chemical analysis of the samples allowed experts to conclude "that for several months Alexei Cherepanov engaged in doping." A spokeswoman at the committee refused to specify the drugs that Cherepanov allegedly took.
The statement also said Cherepanov suffered from myocarditis, a condition where not enough blood gets to the heart, and the Russian should not have been playing pro hockey.
The club's medical team might carry legal liability in the episode, the statement added.
"A row of gross violations was committed by the medical brigade helping A. Cherepanov," the statement said. Among them, doctors arrived on the scene a full 12 minutes after Cherepanov collapsed, and the battery on the defibrillator used to attempt to shock Cherepanov's heart back to life was drained, the statement said.
There was a ton of things wrong in this situation. The doctors took 12 minutes to respond, and they didn't have proper technology to revive him. In addition to that, Cherepanov had a medical condition with which he shouldn't have been cleared to play hockey.
There is also the mystery surrounding why Cherepanov was doping.
To this day no one knows if Cherepanov was willingly taking steroids to become bigger and more physical or if he was being forced by Avangard's team doctors and staff.
Nonetheless, this video was one of the most frightening moments in hockey history.