Rivals250 cornerback Ross Douglas (Avon, OH) became the first of potentially several highly coveted prospects to de-commit from Penn State's 2013 recruiting class due to the NCAA's decision to impose a four year postseason ban and reduction in the number of scholarships the Nittany Lions can dole out among other program crippling sanctions.
"It was something we decided before (the NCAA's announcement) because my family saw it coming," Douglas told Josh Helmholdt of Rivals.com Monday morning. "We prepared ourselves for it, and today was just the icing on the cake. I love Penn State to death, but I have to do what's best for me and I'm going to look elsewhere."
There were several Big Ten Conference programs who pursued Douglas before the 4-star cornerback committed to Penn State on February 29th. The top contenders for Douglas at the time were Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State.
With his recruitment now re-opended, the nation's No. 222 overall prospect and No. 22 ranked cornerback has already heard from several coaches, taken an unofficial visit to Nebraska and has a visit to Wisconsin this weekend.
"There have been about eight coaches that have contacted me since I de-committed," Douglas said Monday. "The only visit besides Nebraska last week that my family has set in stone is this Wisconsin visit. I'll be open (to more visits), I just don't know when I will have time. Maybe I'll have to take official visits, we'll see."
Although Douglas has not named a leader for his services at the moment, he hopes to have a decision made once again before the start of his senior season.
"I would like to have it done before my first game starts on August 24th," Douglas said. "If that doesn't happen, then it will be shortly after, but I do want to wrap this up quickly."
With the accelerated timeline Douglas has set for his re-commitment do not expect many other teams beside Nebraska and Wisconsin to come into play for the Avon High School standout.
Past suitor Ohio State has already addressed their need at cornerback with verbal commitments from 5-star prospect Cameron Burrows and 4-star talent Eli Woodard and are unlikely to come after Douglas a second time.
A few teams recruited Douglas before that could come back into play are Michigan, Notre Dame and MIchigan State.
According to TheWolverine.com, Michigan defensive coordinator Greg Mattison informed Douglas their scholarship offer is still available and the Ohio native now has plans to visit Ann Arbor on Sunday after making stops at Notre Dame on Thursday and Wisconsin on Saturday.
This article was composed prior to a report from Bill Greene of Scout.com that Ross Douglas verbally committed to Michigan. Click here to read about Douglas' re-commitment.
Zach Dirlam is the former Lead Editor of the College Basketball section as well as Big Ten columnist for the FOX Sports/MSN/YardBarker affiliate website Sports at Work. Check out his blog, Dirlam’s Dirty Dugout Sports Blog, which features this story, along with other articles and video reports on major sports.
Follow Zach on Twitter.