Mixed-league roto owners, are you in need of a waiver-wire pitcher before Friday's slate of games?
Here's my free-agent choice (from the majority of 12-team leagues) for one day of fantasy stardom:
Vance Worley, Philadelphia Phillies (vs. Giants)
- Of his last nine starts, Vance Worley (5-5, 3.47 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, 76/32 K-BB) has allowed three runs or less eight times. In that span, Worley has yielded two or less walks seven times.
- In 15 outings this season, Worley has surrendered three or less runs 12 times, while collecting five or more strikeouts 10 times.
- Worley boasts strong marks in his 23 career home appearances: 9-4, 2.93 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 108/46 K-BB.
- In two career starts against the Giants (spanning 16 innings), Worley has a 2-0 record, 2.25 ERA, 0.75 WHIP and 11/2 K-BB ratio.
- Today's slate of free-agent pitchers isn't that deep. When in doubt, always ride the young talent with the 90s fastball...and track record for a 3.01 ERA or less when fully healthy.
The Next Five for Friday
- Drew Pomeranz (Rockies) @ Padres—The fantasy optimist in me is fixating on Pomeranz's seven runs allowed in six starts from April 21-July 6...not the five runs surrendered on July 15.
- Ricky Nolasco (Marlins) @ Pirates—Fingers crossed on seven strikeouts and three runs allowed against Pittsburgh on Friday. Since May 22, Nolasco has only endured one wretched start.
- Derek Holland (Rangers) @ Angels—The enigmatic southpaw will try to build off last week's scoreless effort against the Mariners.
- Miguel Gonzalez (Orioles) @ Indians—The Baltimore right-hander has allowed just one run in four of his last five outings.
- Bud Norris (Astros) @ Diamondbacks—I'm conveniently ignoring Norris' three-run, six-walk malaise from five days ago. I'm also choosing to look past Big Bud's six straight losses.
A Look Back
Most recent selection: Astros pitcher Lucas Harrell.
Final tally: 9.0 innings, six hits, zero runs, seven strikeouts and four walks.
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @ATL_JayClemons.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!