Victor Ortiz Wants Rematch with Josesito Lopez Once Broken Jaw Heals

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Victor Ortiz Wants Rematch with Josesito Lopez Once Broken Jaw Heals
Jeff Gross/Getty Images

After what has to have been one of the biggest upsets in recent memory in boxing, Victor Ortiz would like to avenge his surprising loss to Josesito Lopez once his broken jaw heals, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN.

Oritiz's manager, Rolando Arellano, told ESPN that the fighter told him he wanted a rematch on Monday by writing it on a piece of paper in a visit to Ortiz at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, as he recovered from his surgery that took place on Sunday.

Ortiz (29-4-2, 22 KOs) had a rematch clause in his contract, and he fully deserves a shot at Lopez (30-4, 18 KOs) again, as his injured jaw was far worse than most had previously thought right after Ortiz's corner threw in the towel this past Saturday night.

It was revealed that Ortiz suffered two fractures to his jaw in the bout, the first in Round 5, and the second one coming as the final round of the night, Round 9, was coming to a close.

The doctors said that the fractures had caused internal bleeding and Ortiz would have been seriously risking his health if he were to continue in the fight.

A titanium plate was put inside Ortiz's jaw and his mouth has been wired shut and will remain that way for around two weeks. The total healing time for his jaw is said to be around six weeks, but Ortiz will most likely not fight for the rest of this year.

With these latest descriptions of Ortiz's injury, he doesn't deserve the criticism that is being thrown his way about him being a quitter.

Lopez deserves all the accolades being thrown his way after putting up such a great  fight and moving up in weight on one month's notice, but Ortiz should not be taking the bashing that he is.

Ortiz fought for four rounds with a broken jaw, and would be an crazy to have continued fighting after the second break in his jaw, as he could have faced life-changing injuries if he did. Let's just wait until the rematch—whenever it may happen—before any more judgment is passed on Ortiz at this point.

Ortiz showed that he had the drive to fight most of the bout injured, but ultimately made the right decision in retiring at the end of Round 9, as unpopular as it may have been Saturday night.

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

Boxing

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.