Mike Garafolo of The Star-Ledger first reported that the two parties have agreed to terms on a new deal:
The Giants and DE Osi Umenyiora have agreed to a restructured contract, the team has announced. #nyg— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) June 1, 2012
After seemingly endless amounts of bickering between the two parties, they have finally reached an agreement. While the terms of the deal have not been disclosed, Umenyiora will report to OTAs, which are scheduled to begin on Monday.
According to a source of Garafolo’s, the new deal may only be for one year:
Was told today by someone sort of in the know something like this might happen. Person speculated it would be a one-yr deal. We'll see #nyg— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) June 1, 2012
The two-time Pro Bowler was unhappy for the majority of training camp last year, as he looked to revise the six-year, $41 million extension he signed back in 2007.
It seems as if both sides are breathing a sigh of relief now that the process is finally over. Osi sounded like a guy who was sick of the drama that played out in the media and ready to move forward with the only team he has ever known (via Giants.com):
I’m just happy, I’m happy all that’s over with. It’s time to get back to work. It was definitely frustrating (not being on the field this spring), but hearing some of the things they said, whether it was Kiwi or (Justin) Tuck or JPP or Antrel (Rolle)—hearing the way they supported me, it made me want to come back even more and be around them. Those guys really stepped up for me. I really appreciate it and I’m happy to be here with them.
Sure, hearing from his teammates helped, but we all know it really came down to money.
He got his wish and will now strap on the pads with a big grin on his face Monday morning.