The Los Angeles Kings travel to Phoenix to take on the Coyotes. The other final will begin on Monday after the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals play 7 on Saturday to see who advances to face the New Jersey Devils.begin Sunday as the
Following are six stats you might not know about the NHL Conference Finals since 1980 (the last 31 years).
1. In the first two games of the conference finals since 1980, 30 of them had one of the teams take a 2-0 lead. In the other 32 series, the teams split the first two games.
2. In the 30 series where a team took a 2-0 lead, that team won the conference finals 28 times. The last team to fall behind two games to none in the conference finals and win that series was in 1991 when the Pittsburgh Penguins lost the first two games against the Boston Bruins and then won four straight to advance to the Finals.
3. In the 32 series that started out with the teams splitting the first two games, there was no advantage by winning either Game 1 or Game 2 of the series. The eventual series winner won Game 1 16 times; the eventual series winner won Game 2 16 times.
4. When the series started out 1-1, the team that won Game 3 went on to win the series in 27 of the 32 series. From 1980-1999, the team that won Game 3 after the series was tied at 1-1 won 21 of the 22 series. In the 10 conference finals that were tied at 1-1 since 2000, the team that won Game 3 has won the series six times and lost the series four times.
5. Of the 62 conference finals played since 1980, 10 lasted only four games. The series went five games in 20 series; six games in 19 series; and the series went the full seven games in 13 series.
6. There have been 59 overtimein the conference finals since 1980. The home team has won 29 and lost 30. The home team has won five of the last five overtime games in the conference finals.
Follow Jerry on Twitter @StatsonTapp