Fantasy Baseball 2012: Emergency Waiver-Wire Pitcher for May 10
Mixed-league roto owners, are you in need of a waiver-wire pitcher before Thursday's (small) slate of games?
Here's my free-agent choice (from the majority of 12-team leagues) for one day of fantasy stardom:
Henderson Alvarez, Toronto Blue Jays (@ Minnesota)
1. In his last three starts, Alvarez has a 2-1 record, 1.23 ERA, 1.05 WHIP and 4/6 K-BB ratio.
2. Alvarez (2.83 ERA, 1.04 for the season) hasn't allowed more than three runs in five of six outings. He's also gone a minimum of six innings in every start.
3. In 405 innings of minor league work (2007-11), Alvarez posted marks of a 27-24 record, 4.02 ERA, 1.30 WHIP and 294/78 K-BB ratio. He projects to be a solid No. 4 or 5 starter in the big leagues.
The Next Three For Thursday
1. Derek Lowe (Indians) @ Red Sox—The old man (we played hoops together in high school) has a 1.32 ERA and 1.17 WHIP in his three starts.
2. Kevin Correia (Pirates) vs. Nationals—The Pittsburgh hurler has allowed two or less runs in four of his five outings.
3. Wei-Yin Chen (Orioles) vs. Rangers—Chen would have ranked higher (or maybe would have been Pitcher of the Day) if he wasn't facing the most fearsome lineup in baseball.
A Look Back
Wednesday's selection: Cleveland's Jeanmar Gomez
Final tally: 6.2 innings, eight runs, nine hits, two strikeouts and four walks. (Ouch!)
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @ATL_JayClemons.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?