There's a little something for everyone in your Monday morning B/R World Football Gossip Roundup.
After this weekend's FA Cup final, goal line technology is once again a hot topic. We have the latest on what's fast becoming a one-sided argument.
And because summer is just around the corner, the usual rumors—concerning names big and small—are starting to pop up.
All of that inside, so keep reading.
Here we go again. Goal-line technology is a hot topic again after controversy marred Saturday's FA Cup final.
Liverpool's Andy Carroll came close to scoring with a second-half header, but Chelsea keeper Petr Cech cleared the ball off the line.
Replays were inconclusive but suggested that the ball hadn't crossed the line.
Now, the FA is reportedly set to back the push to institute goal-line technology.
From The Sun:
THE FA will back calls for technology after ANOTHER Wembley showpiece was overshadowed by a goalline row.
The FA were in favour of changes before incidents in their top competition brought the problem into sharp focus again.
Hawk-Eye goalline technology will be used in the Hampshire FA Senior Cup final between Eastleigh and AFC Totton on May 16.
While we're on the subject of Chelsea,
manager defender John Terry is backing his assistant interim boss Roberto Di Matteo for the full-time job.
Terry, it seems, reckons club owner Roman Abramovich and the board will have an easy decision to appoint RDM full-time if the Blues win the Champions League final later this month.
From the Daily Star:
“He’s been incredible. It’s a decision the board are going to make and hopefully with this win we can go on and achieve greatness in this club.
“We can make it very easy for the board because he’s been exceptional.”
Or they could just make it official and give the job to Terry.
This is the last Chelsea story. I promise.
Frank Lampard, it seems, is "desperate" for Chelsea to re-sign Didier Drogba this summer.
From The Independent:
The 34-year-old [Drogba], whose deal runs out in the summer, is the first player to score in four FA Cup finals, having also struck in Chelsea's triumphs in 2007, 2009 and 2010. So far the club have offered Drogba a one-year extension – he wants a two-year deal.
The chief executive, Ron Gourlay, has revealed that more talks are planned after the Champions League final against Bayern Munich on 19 May, but Lampard said: "I am desperate for Didier to stay. He is a magnificent player. He has lost no pace, none of his finishing instinct, but as a man I love Didier and whatever he decides to do, stays here or whatever, he has been a hero for this club and he will go down in memory as a legend."
Who's running the club anyway?
It's almost summer, and that means the annual Kaká rumors are popping up.
Today, Kaká says he wants to stay with Real Madrid.
"I still have a contract for three more years and want to stay here to play my part in future successes. Winning the Liga title was another milestone in my career," Kaka said.
"It was a bit different than what I was used to because I was less important than before. This only motivates me to become a key player again."
Don't worry, Ricardo Kaká, I still think you're a key player.
The latest on the RvP-Man City saga is this.
City are reportedly offering Arsenal's Robin van Persie £250,000 per week.
According to the Daily Star, they are prepared to pay him a quarter of a million pounds each week—which equates to £12 million a year—in order to make the switch to the Etihad Stadium.
Arsenal are sure not to let him go without a fight, despite having signed Germany international Lukas Podolski to add to their own group of strikers.
Talks are expected between the Gunners and Van Persie over a new contract at the end of the season, but these could be impacted by the declaration of a huge City offer.
Actually, my calculator says £250,000 per week equals £13 million per year. Did I forget to carry a zero somewhere?
In other Arsenal news, the Gunners are reportedly set to "make the first move" for Fulham's Clint Dempsey.
Turkish star Hamit Altintop secured a glamorous move to Real Madrid in 2011 after scoring goals like this one.
At Real, however, Altintop has mostly sat the bench. Now, though, Turkish club Trabzonspor are reportedly interested in his services.
Halil Altintop, the Madrid player's brother, is already under contract with the club and has supposedly been talking to Hamit in an attempt to convince him to join the Karadeniz Fırtınası.
The midfielder has a contract with Madrid until the summer of 2015, but the Liga champions are ready to cash in on Altintop if a good offer comes in.
He has previously been linked with Galatasaray.
Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly set to battle for Crewe youngster Nick Powell.
The Daily Mirror reports:
The United chief has been told to sign Powell, who has hit 15 goals this term, by his scouts, and he watched him with coach Mike Phelan so he can get in early before an auction starts.
Spurs are still favourites for Powell, with Arsenal and Chelsea also keen – but [Manchester United's Sir Alex] Ferguson hopes he will be able to land the starlet, who looks set to follow ex-Crewe aces David Platt and Danny Murphy to the very top.
Powell, 18, has represented England at the U-16, U-17 and U-18 levels.
Word on the street says Gregory van der Wiel is leaving Ajax this summer.
As of now, however, the defender says he hasn't received any "concrete interest."
Van der Wiel agreed personal terms with Valencia about a summer move earlier this season, but talks between both clubs have since broken down, while Roma are also believed to be keen on the defender.
However, the Ajax star has stressed he is not away of any potential interest at this moment in time.
"Not a single club has shown a concrete interest in signing me so far, so I don't know where I will play next season," Van der Wiel told Goal.com.
"I have not said farewell to the club yet, and neither has Jan [Vertonghen]. We had agreed not to do so with the players whose future is still undecided."
Van der Wiel, 24, has earned 25 senior caps for Holland.
For weeks now, Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has told anyone and everyone that Manchester United are favorites for the English title.
Now, though, with his team needing just one win to clinch the trophy, Mancini is finally changing his tale.
And after weeks of claiming his men were not in the in driving seat to win the division, Mancini finally admitted that his team were favourites to lift the trophy, he told Call Collymore: “Now, yes [but] it will be a difficult game because QPR are a good and are playing [to avoid] relegation.