Since before the 2008 college football season, I have made 17 bold predictions for the upcoming season. I usually only get about half of these right, but if I got them all right, I would question my boldness.
1. There are two teams from both the SEC and Pac-12 projected to start in the Top Five. These same four teams will finish there as well.
2. Mike Bellotti will return to coaching. (We may have to wait till spring to know.)
3. The WAC will somehow survive.
4. A team from the SEC will not win the national championship.
5. The BCS National Championship will be without controversy.
6. In 2013 there will be a lot of movement among the conferences. Boise State and San Diego State will back out of their Big East deal with the announcement of the discontinuance of auto-qualifying conferences.
7. The MAC champion will be a team that has never won it before.
8. Four of the top-10 offenses in the nation will be from the Pac-12.
9. Teams moving conferences this season will have more impact on bowl placements than they will on conference titles.
10. No BCS buster teams this season.
11. FCS wins over FBS programs: four.
12. The Pac-12 will have the No. 1 pick in the draft again.
13. After two seasons as an Independent, BYU will join a conference.
14. The Sun Belt will push to 12 teams for a conference championship game.
15. Oregon doesn’t show off some new uniform.
16. Three different teams will be ranked No. 1 throughout the season.
17. Like 2011, the Heisman winner will be the first for his school.