Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto Will Let Their Fists Do the Talking

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto Will Let Their Fists Do the Talking
Courtesy Damien Acevedo

Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto have opted to let their fists do the talking in Saturday night’s title fight, according to the Daily Mail, rather than the customary trash-talking which “Money” is especially renowned for.

“Miguel is a true warrior, a tough champion, and to go down in the Hall of Fame as one of the best, you have to face the true champions out there,” Mayweather said.

“He's been a gentleman the whole way with me.” “I've been a gentleman with him. That's the way it should be. You get paid to fight in the ring, not outside the ring,” Cotto said.

On Cinco de Mayo, the 35-year-old Mayweather (42-0-26 KOs) and five-division champion takes the plunge into the 154 division for only the second time is his thus storied career.

If successful, what awaits the defensive genius at the end of the night’s proceedings is the WBA super welterweight crown, currently held by the Puerto Rican pugilist “Junito.”

Win, lose or draw, 27 days later (June 1), Money is set to begin a 90-day stint in Clark County Detention Center, Las Vegas, Nev., for a domestic violence conviction.

Conversely, Cotto (37-2-30 KOs), a four-time world champion and three-divisional titlist, will attempt to put a dent in Mayweather’s perfectly pristine 0 record, whilst defending his belt for a third successive time.

In the past, there had been talk of both fighters facing off against each other, but nothing came to fruition. However, Cotto was quick to point out that his chances of victory would have been slim had they met several years ago.

That said, he intimated he doesn’t have one specific game plan in mind, but believes his overall stratagem for Saturday night will result in victory.

“I didn't think about him because he was a great champion, he was a guy who was above me on all levels. But now, we are in the same boat, and the preparation we had in our camp is going to be what gives us the victory on Saturday. If you go into a fight with just one plan, to fight a guy like Mayweather, who can punch or who can run, who has skills, you're going to fail. We have prepared ourselves for more than one plan,” Cotto said.

Meanwhile, Mayweather—the incumbent WBC welterweight champion—wasn’t letting the cat out of the bag with regards to his strategies for usurping Cotto’s crown. Concerning his opponent’s approach to the fight, he suggested that he will be expecting the unexpected.

“I may come out and not be that fast. He may come out and be fast. You don't know what they've been working on in their camp. They may have been working on just a certain thing just to get his speed up,” Mayweather said.

While the build up to the fight has been more or less devoid of trash-talk, Cotto was confident he’d be the one to end Mayweather’s incredible 42-fight win streak.

"Nobody has found the way to beat Floyd Mayweather so far," he said. "You're going to see how a person can beat Floyd Mayweather on Saturday,"

“It looks a lot easier from the outside,” Mayweather said in reply.


For additional information, follow Nedu Obi on Twitter.

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

Boxing

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.