Are you a mixed-league roto owner in need of a waiver-wire pitcher before tonight's slate of games? Here's my free-agent choice for one night of fantasy stardom...and five reasons supporting the pick:
Clayton Richard, San Diego Padres (vs. Washington)
1. In Richard's lone appearance at Petco Park this season, he blanked the NL West-leading Dodgers over seven innings, while notching one win and three strikeouts. His stat line: 0.00 ERA, 0.29 WHIP.
2. In five career outings against the Nationals (33.2 innings), Richard has a 1-2 record, 3.48 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 19 strikeouts.
3. At home, Richard has a solid track record: 13-14, 3.34 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 195 strikeouts in 242.2 innings.
4. With game-time temperatures comfortably in the 60s, Richard has the potential to go eight or nine innings if successful. On the east coast, just one day after a Nor'easter brought snow, biting-cold temps and high winds to the region, most starting pitchers won't exceed six innings for fear of injury.
5. When in doubt, always side with the pitcher playing at spacious Petco Park.
My next five free-agent prospects for Tuesday would be:
1. Tommy Milone (A's) vs. White Sox
2. Henderson Alvarez (Blue Jays) @ Orioles
3. Randy Wolf (Brewers) vs. Astros
4. Kevin Correia (Pirates) vs. Rockies
5. Josh Collmenter (Diamondbacks) vs. Phillies
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @ATL_JayClemons.