Boston Marathon 2012 Results: Finishing Times for Biggest Names
A great day today at the Boston Marathon for Kenya’s runners. They again swept the men’s and women’s podiums.
Wesley Korir won the Boston Marathon in 2:12:40. Levy Matebo finished 26 seconds later in 2:13:06 after leading most of the race toward the end. Bernard Kipyego came in a close third in 2:13:13.
No title defending today at Boston.
Defending champion Geoffrey Mutai had to drop out of the race at the 18th mile due to cramping. This may cost him a chance to represent Kenya at the London Olympic Games this summer.
Sharon Cherop won the marathon in 2:31:50, followed by another Kenyan, Jemima Jelagat Sumgong, just two seconds later. Georgina Rono completed the podium, finishing in 2:33:09.
Again, just like last year, it was a matter of two seconds. The difference is that this time last year an American, Desiree Davila, was the runner-up.
The heat was the biggest challenge for many of the athletes. Temperatures were rising into the 80s and it slowed the women on the field at the 116th Boston Marathon by about nine minutes. The men were also slower today compared to last year, also by about nine minutes. Mutai won last year in 2:03:02.
The pleasant surprise in the race today was American Jason Hartmann. He finished fourth, clocking 2:14:31. Marathon runners are usually small but the 6'3" Hartmann proved today that he could be a contender.
Place Name Ctry Time
1. Wesley Korir KEN 2:12:40
2. Levy Matebo KEN 2:13:06
3. Bernard Kipyego KEN 2:13:13
4. Jason Hartmann USA 2:14:31
5. Wilson Chebet KEN 2:14:56
6. Laban Korir KEN 2:15:29
7. Michel Butter NED 2:16:38
8. David Barmasai KEN 2:17:16
9. Hideaki Tamura JPN 2:18:15
10. Mathew Kisorio KEN 2:18:15
Place Name Ctry Time
1. Sharon Cherop KEN 2:31:50
2. Jemima Jelagat Sumgong KEN 2:31:52
3. Georgina Rono KEN 2:33:09
4. Firehiwot Dado ETH 2:34:56
5. Diana Sigei KEN 2:35:40
6. Rita Jeptoo KEN 2:35:53
7. Mayumi Fujita USA 2:39:11
8. Nadezdha Leonteva RUS 2:40:40
9. Svetlana Pretot FRA 2:40:50
10. Sheri L. Piers USA 2:41:55
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?