TNA's all-cage classic is rapidly approaching. I'm talking, of course, about Lockdown.
The event will take place in Nashville, Tennessee, the backyard of the challenger for the Heavyweight Championship, James Storm.
In honor of TNA Lockdown this Sunday, April 15, I've decided to gather up some facts. Some fun, random facts that you may or may not have known about Lockdown.
- 2005 and 2007 were the only years in which a World Heavyweight Championship match was not featured on the card.
- 2005 Lethal Lockdown featured only three wrestlers on a team.
- Jeff Hardy vs. Raven in 2005 was the only tables match in Lockdown history.
- There has been an X Division Xscape match at Lockdown every year thus far.
- The 2009 card featured the most matches in one Lockdown event. Every other Lockdown consisted of eight matches; 2009 had nine.
- The IMPACT Zone has only hosted two Lockdown events (2005 and 2006).
- St. Charles, Missouri's Family Arena hosted Lockdown twice (2007 and 2010).
- Lethal Lockdown has been the main event for four years (2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011). A singles match has main-evented Lockdown for four years as well (2005, 2008, 2009 & 2012).
- The original plan for Lockdown was to only have two matches featured in a steel cage, not the entire card. The idea came from a joke made by Dusty Rhodes in a meeting. Dixie Carter made Dusty's joke a reality and one of TNA's biggest shows of the year.
- Sting has been featured in the Lethal Lockdown or World title match every year since 2006. A concussion this year ends that streak.
- AJ Styles was in a Lethal Lockdown for four consecutive years (2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009).
- There's been five men on a Lethal Lockdown team three times (2007, 2008 and now 2012).
- Matt Morgan is undefeated at Lockdown. He's 3-0 and going to face Crimson, who is undefeated in singles wrestling. One streak will end on April 15!
- April 15 has been the date for Lockdown twice now; April 15, 2007 and April 15, 2012.
- AJ Styles has appeared at Lockdown every year since 2005.
- Jeff Jarrett was captain of a Lethal Lockdown team three times (2005, 2006 and 2009).
- Christian Cage was captain of a Lethal Lockdown team twice (2007 and 2008). Kurt Angle is also a two-time Lethal Lockdown captain (2007 and 2009).
- This year is the Motorcity Machine Guns' first tag team match at Lockdown since 2009.
- 2009 featured two tag team championship matches. That night also had three tag titles on the line (IWGP Junior Heavyweight, IWGP Tag Team and TNA Tag Team Championships).
- The X Division title hasn't been defended at Lockdown since 2009.
- The first match contested for the Knockouts Championship was in 2009 between Awesome Kong, Angelina Love and Taylor Wilde.
- Last year's Lockdown featured the longest, and shortest, singles match in Lockdown history (Angle vs. Jeff Jarrett for 22:37 and Mickie James vs. Madison Rayne—36 seconds).
- Jeff Jarrett participated in five Lethal Lockdown matches.
- There was no title changes at Lockdown in 2005 and 2006.
- The last time the World Heavyweight Championship switched hands at Lockdown was in 2009, when Mick Foley defeated Sting.
- This is Samoa Joe's first-ever tag team match at Lockdown.
- Samoa Joe has never lost a championship at Lockdown. In 2006, he retained the X Division Championship against Sabu; he beat Kurt Angle for the Heavyweight title in 2008.
- Samoa Joe will be the only man in Lockdown history to be featured in an X Division, Tag Team and World Heavyweight Championship match.
- The Lethal Lockdown started using a roof in 2006.
- Mr. Anderson and Rob Van Dam were featured in the World Heavyweight title match last year. This year, they find themselves in Lethal Lockdown.
- This is the first-ever Lethal Lockdown match for Eric Bischoff, Garett Bischoff, Gunner, Austin Aries and Mr. Anderson.
- This is the first-ever singles match for Velvet Sky, Robbie E and Crimson at Lockdown.
- Hulk Hogan and/or Eric Bischoff have been involved in Lethal Lockdown since their debut year in 2010. That year had Team Hogan vs. Team Flair, 2011 had Hogan's Immortal vs. Fortune and now 2012 has Team Bischoff vs. Team Bischoff.
- This is the first five-on-five Lethal Lockdown since 2008.
- This is both Bobby Roode and James Storm's first singles match at Lockdown since 2007.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!