The Rangers were first A.L. Team to 10 wins last season and made the World Series
The 2012 Major League Baseball season is barely a week old, but here’s a question to ponder: Does being the first team in your league to win 10 games mean anything when it comes to end-of-the-season success?
Last season, being the first team to reach 10 wins had very different results in the American League and National League. The Rangers were the first team in the A.L. to win 10 games and made it to the World Series. In the N.L., the Colorado Rockies were the first team to 10 wins and ended the 2011 campaign at 73-89 and fourth place in the N.L. West.
Here’s a look at the last 10 years and which team(s) from each league was the first to win 10 games (* means the team made the playoffs).
Note: If more than one team made it to 10 wins on the same day, all teams will be listed. In the 10 years chronicled below, there are 13 teams in the American League and 13 teams in the National League.
2011: AL-Texas*; NL-Colorado
2010: AL-Tampa Bay*; NL-St. Louis
2009: AL-Toronto; NL-Florida
2008: AL-LA Angels*/Boston*; NL-Arizona/St. Louis
2007: AL-Minnesota; NL-LA Dodgers
2006: AL-Boston;NL-NY Mets*
2005: AL-Chicago White Sox*; NL-LA Dodgers
2004: AL-Oakland/Minnesota*; NL-LA Dodgers*/Florida
2003: AL-Kansas City/NY Yankees*; NL-San Francisco*
2002: AL-Cleveland; NL-San Francisco*/Arizona*
Here’s a few more stats about the teams that were first to 10 wins in a season in the American League and National League…
* Of the 26 teams listed above that were first to 10 wins, 22 (84.6 percent) ended the season with winning records. The four that did not: Colorado, 2011, 73-89; Minnesota, 2007, 79-83; LA Dodgers, 2005, 71-91; and Cleveland, 2002, 74-88.
* Ten of the 26 teams won their division that year.
* Twelve of the 26 made the playoffs that year.
* Four of the 26 went to the World Series that season: Texas in 2011, Chicago White Sox in 2005, NY Yankees in 2003 and San Francisco in 2002.
* The White Sox are the only team in the last 10 years to be the first team to 10 wins in their league and win the World Series that same season.