- The Islanders are 2-17-2 since December 1, picking up six points in 21 games.
- They are 1-10-2 in their division.
- Rick DiPietro is just about lost for the season, and Joey MacDonald, his backup, is also out, which means Yann Danis is your starting goalie.
- The team and fans were crushed to learn that Wade Dubielewicz was claimed off waivers by Columbus, ending his return bid.
- Chris Campoli became the latest to be sidelined by injury.
- Newsday identified the person behind Kansas City's bid to get a pro sports team, and he's considered a more powerful figure in sports than Gary Bettman. Wonderful.
- The team has moved its training camp to Saskatchewan, which is a lot closer to K.C. than Uniondale.
Bad news, right? Well, please consider this as well:
- In this awful string the team is struggling through, 15 of the 22 games were decided by two goals or less, including eight one-goal games, so the Isles aren't getting blown off the ice despite being severely shorthanded by injury (and, yes, a talent gap that was there at the season's start).
- The Arizona Cardinals are in the Super Bowl.
Yes, the Cardinals, a team that hasn't won a football title in more than 60 years, a team that has been a laughingstock for decades, is in the Super Bowl against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
If the Cardinals can make the Super Bowl—and don't be shocked if they win—then anything can happen. So keep the faith.