9. Kevin’s Jewish. A very much under-represented group in professional sports.
8. Youk hit 29 homers last season. I like homers.
7. Enza, Kevin’s wife. Not only is she a hottie, he’s not. It give hope to millions of men around the world.
6. According to Wikipedia (source of all knowledge) an on-base plus slugging percentage of .900 puts a player in the upper echelon of offensive ability. Youkilis posted a 1.43 last season and his career thus far shows a 1.19.
5. That crazy batting stance. I don’t know where he developed that, but it makes me think of all those guys over the years who you could identify a mile away of they were at the plate. (Rose, Carew, Clemente, and so on.)
4. Youk holds the record for most consecutive errorless games a first base. Consistency, man.
3. Fire. Remember when Manny took a swing at Youk in the dugout during that Rays game. Do you remember why? It was because Manny got annoyed by Youk’s anger over his own bad at-bat. Imagine that? A player who wanted to do his best every performance regardless of the score? Wow!
2. One word: GOATEE!
And the number one reason I’m Glad the Red Sox Locked up Kevin Youkilis…
1. I’m old enough to remember the end of the era where a player would spend most, if not all, of his career with a team. You would put your favorite player up on a pedestal and know that he would most likely be playing for your favorite team for a long time. From what I can tell, Kevin Youkilis is a hard working ball player who really cares about winning and gives is all no matter what. I’d be satisfied if my son had a Kevin Youkilis poster on his wall that at least he’d picked a decent role model.