Toronto Maple Leafs a Look at the Past: 10 Hits to Remember
The Toronto Maple Leafs are possibly the softest team in the NHL. They are easily pushed off the puck, they get pushed around during scrums, and when they do fight, they get beaten up. They are not fun to watch.
When the team was bad during the 80’s, Leaf fans still had Wendel Clark (who you will see plenty of) and something to cheer about. In the mid 90’s to early 2000’s, Tie Domi was arguably the club’s most popular player.
The moral of the story: Fans love tough players.
GM Brian Burke promised “pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence”.
Where is it?
Since there hasn't been much to cheer for quite some time, I thought it would be fun to take a look at some big hits from the team's past.
10. Wendel Clark Rocks Chris Chelios
Wendel Clark catches Chris Chelios admiring a pass and makes him pay.
9. Mark Bell Ruins Daniel Alfredsson
This one still brings a smile to my face.
8. Mats Sundin levels Brad May
Tough guy Brad May finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.
7. Tie Domi Crushes Martin Havlat in 2001 Playoffs
How great was the Battle of Ontario?
6. Todd Gill Hammers Doug Wilson Fight
Todd Gill was tough. Just ask Jarome Iginla.
5. Wendel Clark Devastates Jeff Norton in 1994 Playoffs
Talk about a bone crunching hit.
4. Bill McCreary Catches Wayne Gretzky with His Head Down
Was Wayne Gretzky ever hit that clean again?
3. Luke Richardson KOs Tony Granato
Tony Granato was never the same after this.
2. Darcy Tucker Destroys Sami Kapanen
Unfortunately for Leaf fans, Jeremy Roenick's goal moments later would eliminate Toronto from the playoffs.
1. Wendel Clark Puts Bruce Bell on a Stretcher
How awesome was Mark Hebscher with the highlights?
"Oh my God" is right. What a hit!