10 Candidates to Be January's Rafael Van Der Vaart

JohnCorrespondent IJanuary 29, 2012

10 Candidates to Be January's Rafael Van Der Vaart

0 of 10

    The January transfer window will close at midnight on Tuesday, and as history has shown, the final day can come with some surprises and last minute deals. 

    Two hours before the window closed on August 31, 2010, Tottenham Hotspur made a successful last ditch effort to bring Dutch attacking midfielder Rafael van der Vaart from Real Madrid.

    Here is a list of ten footballers that may be transferred before February.    

Giovani Dos Santos

1 of 10

    La Liga side Villareal are set to complete a transfer for Mexican international Giovani dos Santos. 

    Dos Santos, 22, has never settled since moving to White Hart Lane in 2008.  He has been available in the past four transfer windows, and it seems he finally will leave Tottenham this January. 

    Villareal and Spurs have been in contact since early last week and are close to finalizing an agreement. 

    Bolton are also said to be interested in dos Santos, but the move to Villareal is much more likely. 

Marko Marin

2 of 10

    With Luis Suarez still serving his suspension and Andy Carroll struggling to find form, Liverpool is in need of a reliable goal scorer. 

    German international winger Marko Marin is up and coming with his club, Werder Bremen. 

    The versatile 22-year-old has load of potential and would become a major threat for the Reds.   

    Marin has great vision from the wing, but also can play in the center as he distributes the ball very well. 

    If Liverpool is willing to make this move, it could erase the bad memories of the Carroll transfer and turn into one of the best deadline transfers in recent memory.  

Michael Ballack

3 of 10

    It has been known that Michael Ballack will leave Bayer Leverkusen after his contract expires this summer. 

    Leverkusen have also made it clear that if any clubs are interested in the former German captain, they are willing to listen. 

    Since moving to the Bundesliga in 2010, Ballack has struggled with injuries and his form.  He has played in 14 league matches this season, but only five have been for the entire 90 minutes. 

    Over the weekend, Manchester United had been linked to Ballack.

Jose Bosingwa

4 of 10

    After refusing to sign a new deal with Chelsea, Jose Boswinga seems set to exit Stamford Bridge.   

    Rather than lose the defender for nothing, Chelsea will surely look to get back some of the £16.3 million they spent on him in 2008. 

    Chelsea’s defense would not suffer as much from losing Boswinga after they signed Gary Cahill earlier this month. 

    Paris Saint-Germaine are said to be interested.  If Boswinga ends up at PSG, he would join former teammate Alex and former manager Carlo Ancelotti. 

Kevin De Bruyne

5 of 10

    The Belgian international has grown in the Belgian Pro League and is ready to challenge himself in the English Premier League. 

    De Bruyne has been linked to transfers to other clubs, most notably Chelsea, for months, but as of now, nothing has been completed.

    Chelsea midfielder Ramires suffered a knee injury in the club’s FA Cup match with Queens Park Rangers on Saturday and will be sidelined for up to a month.  Ramires had started 19 league matches this season and scored four goals. 

    Only 20 years old, de Bruyne will bring youth and energy to the Chelsea midfield and is an investment for the future.   

Eden Hazard

6 of 10

    Interest for the Belgian attacker from European clubs has grown over the past few years. 

    Hazard, the Ligue 1 Play of the Year last season for Lille, has proven himself in France and is expected to leave Lille—eventually.

    He has expressed his desire to stay put through this season, and at only 21 years old, there is no rush to move him before the close of this transfer window.   He has said he hopes to move on to England after accomplishing more with Lille before June. 

    Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Paris Saint-Germain all have been linked to Hazard.   

Clint Dempsey

7 of 10

    Dempsey again expressed his desire to play in the Champions League last week, adding further doubt that he will resign with Fulham when his contract expires in 18 months. 

    Fulham surely will not let Dempsey walk while receiving nothing in return.  But with a year and a half remaining on his contract, they do not necessarily need to move him immediately. 

    Arsenal, who have been relatively quiet this transfer period, have been linked to the 28-year-old American in the past and continue to be so.    

    Because of Dempsey’s form this season, his value is currently the highest it has ever been.  Therefore, there is a good chance a move will be completed before February.

Chris Samba

8 of 10

    The Blackburn Rovers defender has publicly expressed his displeasure with the club’s management. 

    Turning in his transfer request earlier this month, Samba thinks now is the right time for him to move on. 

    Queens Park Rangers and Tottenham have been linked to the Congo international, but Samba said Rovers are seeking £15 million for him, a price he thinks is overvalued.

    Samba said he has no problem with manager Steve Kean, but said his disagreements lie with ownership.  “It’s personal,” he said. 

Kevin Doyle

9 of 10

    Irish international striker Kevin Doyle has struggled to find the back of the net this season.

    Doyle has scored only two goals this season, causing him to start only one of Wolverhampton’s last six Premier League matches. 

    Everton targeted Doyle in 2009 and again last summer.  Wolves manager Mick McCarthy was reluctant to sell his striker in the past, but has made him available this January. 

    Everton has struggled to score goals this season.  With Doyle no longer being first choice at Wolverhampton, a move to the Toffees would offer him a fresh start and a chance to play ahead of this summer’s UEFA Champsionships. 

Andy Carroll

10 of 10

    Though Liverpool does not comment on transfer speculation, they apparently unsuccessfully offered Andy Carroll to Manchester City in a swap for wantaway striker Carlos Tevez. 

    Although manager Kenny Dalglish has supported Carroll, who was bought for £35 million last January, he seems to be available for the right price.  He has also been linked with a return to Newcastle United, possibly in a deal bringing Demba Ba to Liverpool.

    Liverpool is in need of help with their attack.  Carroll has not yet lived up to the expectations the club had for him a year ago, Luis Suarez is suspended and Dirk Kuyt just scored his first goal of the season over the weekend.