Happy New Year Yankee fans! It's a new year, which means a new baseball season is right around the corner. Are you looking forward to the 2012 season? I have to admit that I'm a little leery about it. I have been thinking about this Yankee team and I feel that, in order for them to be successful this year, certain things have to fall into place.
I don't know how many Yankees make new year's resolutions but, whether they do or not, here are 10 resolutions 10 Yankees should be make right now (in no particular order):
1. Mark Teixeira. Tex needs to resolve to hit more balls to left field while batting left-handed. All he did during the entire 2011 season was hit into the opposing infield's shift. He did it over and over again. Sounds like the definition of insanity to me.
2. Alex Rodriguez. The 2011 season was a lost season for A-Rod. His 2012 resolution has to be to return to his 2010 form or, his form from any other successful year he has had. Perhaps those German knee treatments will do the trick.
3. AJ Burnett. The 2009 AJ keeps getting further and further away. He has had two bad years in a row now and needs to resolve to turn things around. Come on, AJ, forget your wild hair styles and tattoos. Your pitching style is what you need to change.
4. Phil Hughes. Another Yankee who had a lost 2011 season. I don't think Hughes was in shape last season. He needs to resolve to get in shape and work his way back to his great 2010 season.
5. Brett Gardner. Brett's new year's resolution is very simple: Get off to a good start and stay consistent.
6. Boone Logan. Logan was the lone lefty in the bullpen in 2011 and, at times, it was as if there was no lefty in the bullpen. His resolution should be to be a force against left-handed hitters, the way he was in 2010.
7. Joba Chamberlain. No rocket science here. Just get healthy and come back as soon as possible during the 2012 season.
8. Rafael Soriano. Soriano's first year in pinstripes was filled with mediocrity. His resolution should be to pitch the way he pitched his last year in a Rays uniform.
9. Ramiro Pena. Can Ramiro Pena hit at the Major League level? I'm not sure, but that needs to be his new year's resolution. Give it your best shot, Nino.
10. Eduardo Nunez. The key word here is defense. Nunez was the error king last season. He should resolve to clean up his defense. If he does, that, along with his decent bat, will make him into a really nice player.
Of course, there are probably other things I'm leaving out. But I think this is a good start. Get it done guys.