Golden State Warriors logoGolden State Warriors

What Can Former Thunder Guard Nate Robinson Do for the Golden State Warriors?

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - MAY 21:  Nate Robinson #3 of the Oklahoma City Thunder looks on from the court before the game against the Dallas Mavericks in Game Three of the Western Conference Finals during the 2011 NBA Playoffs at Oklahoma City Arena on May 21, 2011 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
Chris FinocchioCorrespondent IJanuary 4, 2012

A team with two undersized, bad defending guards who take a lot of shots are joined by an extremely undersized guard who takes a lot of shots and scores very inefficiently in years of late.

That is what reports indicate the Golden State Warriors are doing in signing Nate Robinson. Is there a way this scenario plays out well? 

Wing Klay Thompson has been atrocious, but Brandon Rush has been playing very well as has second-year point guard Ish Smith.  How bad would these players need to play for it to make sense for Robinson to get minutes? 

During Robinson's best season, 2008-09 for the Knicks, he scored 30 percent of his baskets inside at an efficient .596 eFG Percentage, and 70 percent of his jumpers with a less efficient .457 eFG percentage. He also got to the line 4.8 times per 36 minutes. 

In his last season, playing about 18 minutes a game for the Celtics for the first two-thirds of the season he was a much different player. Only 14 percent of his baskets were inside and the other 86 percent which were jumpers were scored with a .455 eFG percentage. And his FTA per 36 was down to 1.5.

In the 2008-09 season, Robinson was assisted on only 30 percent of inside baskets. Last year for the Celtics, that figure was 53 percent. 

Undersized guards who rely on their athleticism tend not to have career resurgences at age 27. Robinson doesn't seem like he can get to the basket like he once could. And like Allen Iverson, Robinson does not seem to have found a way to use a more limited number of possessions more efficiently. 

The Warriors may not need to spend much to get Robinson and it may be worth giving him a bit of a shot to see if he can return to past levels or succeed in a more limited role. But when you are trying to create a new devotion to defense and develop young talent, this move does not seem to have much chance of success. 

 

Chris Finocchio

https://twitter.com/#!/cfinocchio8

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices